• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Football Dying? (nothing to do with ratings or over saturation)

Jangler

Well, if it all ends I'm just happy I got to witness a Cam Newton type player and he played for the team I grew up with, and I witnessed Norte Dame get that butt whooped down in Miami Gardens. Great to see the convicts, I mean confidence beat down the goodie two shoe boys!

On 11/10/2017 at 8:28 PM, iBBB said:

The average NFL player salary is  $1.9mil and the end of the day, football is a job. None of the players play for our entertainment alone. 

I'm not sure why people don't understand that no one is forced to play football. I think NFL should just go ahead and declare that playing tackle football will 100% impact your brain health and all the reasons why playing football is dangerous. For this reason, the players are highly compensated. Nothing will change. There will be just as many players trying to play for 10 years and make as much money as possible. I know I would. 

I'm all for making it safer but there is a limit to what you can do trying to circumvent or soften a collision with a 250lb person at full speed. We might be at that limit in today's age. 

I know this sounds dull and inconsiderable, but at the end of the day, the players are sacrificing their bodies for an absurd amount of money and fame. It is their choice, unlike in the gladiator days. 

Nobody is forcing them and  that's the point. When it dies at the youth level the end result is obvious.

Honestly I started losing interest in football before the whole kneeling started.. it started about the time when CTE was being blamed for the suicides of football players.. I felt like the game didn't evolve enough to protect the players.. we have specialized helmets and accessories not being worn uniformly when it really should be..

No it is not dying you wusses.  The NFL is overexposed and think poor QB play is part of the problem with watchability.  The defensive players are faster than ever making it difficult to run the ball and the QB is in imminent danger at all times even a physical specimen like Cam.

The game was allowed to be more physical years ago but the nutrition and conditioning has created absolute beast on defense. 

It has been dying for a decade or more, it just took everybody awhile to realize it because the NFL was reaching record heights.  The death of a sport begin with popularity and participation decline at the youth level.

I have been working in elementary schools since 1999.  Football use to the unquestoined sport of choice to both play and watch.  The flag football league I coach peaked at twenty teams around ‘03ish and always had our full roster.  Now it is typically the third most popular sport behind soccer and usually basketball, and there are a lot more sports that kids like too.  Our flag football league struggled to make eight teams in one age group and had only seven in another and half our team missed a couple of games for soccer and/or baseball commitments.

Archived