• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If I were the new owner(s)....

Jangler

If I owned a team I spend an absurd amount of money on coaches.  The salary cap prevents me from outspending on players so I am going to get the best coach at every position possible.  My OC and DC would make as much, if not more than HC around the league.  This would not only attract the best offfensive and defensive minds I could find, but hopefully keep them awhile a little while longer.

For HC I would want someone who’s skills lie in managing personnel, handing the press, etc. as well as someone that would use numbers and percentages in making in game decisions such as when to go for it and going for two.  He would almost completely stay out of the OC and DC and what they are doing.

It would require some ego checks for sure as you would need a HC that is okay not being the all powerful dictator and also coordinators that are okay not having the HC tag.  That is not everybody for sure, but there are people out there where it would work for the right money.

My position coaches would also be top of the pay scale and I would treat the GM and the scouting department the same way.  You cannot control someone looking for new challenges or a new place to live, but I would never lose a coach or front office person over money.

9 hours ago, ImfromClayton said:

Is this post real life?

First you say we suffered a lot of injuries in two particular years, then blame the coaching staff for not being consistent in those two years... wut.   They key injuries were the players you highlight as being the reason we should be consistent. 

Are you saying Steve Wilks' defense is not different than Sean's?

Are you saying our offense does not do different things with CMC than in previous years?

Yes, let's turn up the heat on our minimum 11 win coach (this season) who has been to the playoffs 4 of the last 5 years, with 3 division titles, and as many playoff appearances as the 18 years before he got here, won coach of the year twice, and is 40-16 in the last two months of the season. 

Actually, the 2 years I mentioned was referring to something that had been posted previously about there being no way we have a season filled with injuries like that again. And yes, I blame the coaching staff and front office for not being prepared to deal with the possibilities of serious injury. The way that our offense has been designed with Cam taking a serious amount of hits on purpose, the staff should be better prepared for the real possibility that Cam is going to get hurt and miss time, which he has. DA has shown he can't get it done, it's time for a new backup QB. Luke has a problem with concussions. AJ played well, but he's moved on. We need a strong backup there as well. It's the job of the coaches and FO to make sure those positions are covered well, because those are the most important on each side. 

Our defenses change, never said they didn't. I was referring to not adjusting to game situations which we have seen time and time again, mainly on offense. How many runs up the gut for 0-1 yard do you need to realize it's not going to work, 10, 15, 20? How about fly routes that take 5-6 seconds to develop when your line can't hold a block for more than 3? How do you go into the biggest game of the year and not make any adjustments when you're getting your ass kicked by a defense that has your playbook pretty much memorized because you didn't change a thing? How many times do we watch our defense crush an offense, only to stop what we're doing, go prevent, and let the other team right back in the game?  The nickname Cardiac Cats is there for a reason. 

Like I said before, keep the heat on Rivera because he coaches better that way. "Riverboat" Ron only seems to show up when the pressure is on. If I'm hiring a guy to lead my team, I don't want someone who's passionate only part of the time. If a way can be found to keep Riverboat all the time, that's what I want. We've been to the playoffs 4 out of the last 5, but let's be honest, one of those was because the rest of our division poo'd the bed. We got in at 7-9, but it's not like we "won" the division. He's 40-16 in the last 2 months, but 24-30-1 the rest of the season. How many of those games in the last 2 months were after we were all but eliminated from the playoffs? We're slow starters which often puts us in a hole that is difficult to overcome. I'm not one to put much stock in awards. They're great and all but at the end of the day, we're after Lombardi's. 

I think Ron could be a great coach, possibly HoF if he will get out of his own way. Stop being so loyal to things that aren't getting done, offense, defense, players, coaches, and coordinators alike. And turn on that passion we see with Riverboat Ron all the time. 

On 12/27/2017 at 10:42 AM, Navy_football said:

I disagree with most. It's time for a change for both Rivera and Cam's sake. Rivera would be highly sought after as a HC and this team needs a new philosophy. 

Just like Tony Dungy and John Gruden. Both great successful coaches, but needed to change teams to win the super bowl.

Edit: they needed to change teams to win the super bowl.

So you want to get rid of a highly sought after coach so he can win a super bowl with another team??? 

10 hours ago, PhillyB said:

redoing the front office and coaching staff is not a hard reset.

Wait what changing the entire team from owners to coaching isn’t a hard reset?? Yeah except for scheme, mindset, direction half the roster, can’t take a run scheme and turn it into a pass scheme. If the new owner starts changing stuff it want stop until the team is a former shell of itself. 

On 12/27/2017 at 3:40 PM, Anybodyhome said:

Wow, there's some epic reasoning and thought. Really stated your case, moron.

Anyone that knows anything about this team knows it’s not a prime candidate. Stadium just got a face lift so it’s good for atleast 10 years.  It’s a winning team we have one the division multiple times and been to 2 Super Bowls. Prime candidate to move ABH was right with his comments.

15 hours ago, NeedSumD said:

Anyone that knows anything about this team knows it’s not a prime candidate. Stadium just got a face lift so it’s good for atleast 10 years.  It’s a winning team we have one the division multiple times and been to 2 Super Bowls. Prime candidate to move ABH was right with his comments.

I certainly would prefer the team didn't move, but anyone denying it's a possibility is simply burying their head in the sand. 

"Stadium just got a face lift." So what. The contractual obligation between the city of Charlotte and the Panthers to keep the team in Charlotte as a result of that facelift only extends thru the 2018 season. The Georgia Dome had several "facelifts" during its lifespan as well, and look where it is now.

"It's a winning team..." Which make it easier to move. More cities would be willing to accept a successful franchise relocating and would be more likely to fund a new stadium. Try to move the Cleveland Browns right now and see how many takers there'd be.

Again, I don't want it to happen, but don't deny the possibility.

Archived