• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Converted OT Matt Kalil's $10M Option Bonus Into A Signing Bonus Guaranteeing He'll Be On Roster In 2018

bobsfoodbasics

10 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

So this should provide cap savings given the option bonus isn't prorated but signing bonuses are so his cap hit will go down which is the whole point of why it was converted.

You responded to a tweet that says "this doesn't create any cap savings" by saying "this should provide cap savings"?

Why would Panthers make this move if it didn’t help CAP wise,  if he was going to be on the roster regardless?

Maybe it’s freeing up cap space in the future  for a new long term contract for someone else?

Kalil is 90% off the books after this season?

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

You responded to a tweet that says "this doesn't create any cap savings" by saying "this should provide cap savings"?

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Yep because I think that is wrong. If it doesn't create cap savings you don't convert it to a signing bonus you simply exercise the option. Either way he gets paid. 

Some of us don't believe everything we see in a tweet.

1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

Yep because I think that is wrong. If it doesn't create cap savings you don't convert it to a signing bonus you simply exercise the option. Either way he gets paid. 

Unless it pushes someone’s propaganda 

I THINK by doing this then it would allow us to cut bait with him in 2019 and lower the cap penalty if we did so. So while there are no short term savings, it puts us in a position to cut him more easily if he sucks or he's injured, etc. 

*edit*

Apparently I am wrong and this is not the case. In fact, it may mean the exact opposite. 

2 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

I THINK by doing this then it would allow us to cut bait with him in 2019 and lower the cap penalty if we did so. So while there are no short term savings, it puts us in a position to cut him more easily if he sucks or he's injured, etc. 

Why would we do that unless you are freeing up space for a New  Core player contract?

So in 2019 the only paid player on the OL would be Trai Turner busting this myth that OL has 2 much investment and can't extend Norwell.

7 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

I realize you believe your opinion is more valuable than that of the people that cover the team, but I'm going to take their word for it.

2 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

Spotrac noted that we could exercise the option by March or it automatically converts to salary which becomes full guaranteed so then 11 million will be fully guaranteed for 2018.  Exercising and converting it to a signing bonus should move a significant amount of that 10 million to the future which absolutely cuts his cap hit for 2018.

6 minutes ago, Ace_Aladdin said:

Why would we do that unless you are freeing up space for a New  Core player contract?

So in 2019 the only paid player on the OL would be Trai Turner busting this myth that OL has 2 much investment and can't extend Norwell.

It's a future move for 2019 if need be. 

Archived