• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Certain helmets will be phased out by 2019

Jesse

So the NFL and NFLPA conducted a joint investigation on helmets and their effectiveness. Ten helmets will now be phased out. If players wore the helmets previously, they may wear them this upcoming year. However, they won't be allowed to wear them in 2019 or beyond. Rookies won't be able to wear these helmets this year.

Something to note, if you look at the picture in the tweet, two of the worst rated helmets are the Schutt Air XP and Schutt Air XP Pro. I'm not sure if Cam wears one of those or the other versions that will still be allowed (VTD & VTD II). Cam may have to find a new helmet soon.

What does that chart even show? All I see is a line of red to green. Terrible chart. 

It’s funny how college reports and studies are different than the NFLs. College you can wear a different helmet each week and has no affect on concussions, but the nfl says it can increase concussions.

5 minutes ago, Paintballr said:

What does that chart even show? All I see is a line of red to green. Terrible chart. 

It’s funny how college reports and studies are different than the NFLs. College you can wear a different helmet each week and has no affect on concussions, but the nfl says it can increase concussions.

It totally has nothing to do with NFL players being bigger and stronger than the average college football player.

/s

Another odd aspect is that some helmets on this list that are in the red are actually 4 star helmets according to Virginia Tech's star rating. Not to say one is better at testing than the other, but this kinda seems like a scapegoat for the NFL to throw the blame of concussions at a handful of helmets (temporarily of course /s). 

19 hours ago, Paintballr said:

I think the NFL is just trying to make a case for future litigation from players suffering from CTE. It's one of the stupid reasons teams can't have throwback helmets to wear with their throwback uniforms anymore.

Archived