• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Marvin Lewis Aside

Not something I’ve ever spent more than a few thoughts on, if WhoDey doesn’t understand the definition of insanity then who am I to question their continued underachieving tenure?

it is just as much a head scratcher as this random question that has nothing to do with anything closely related to what all but one on here is talking about....

59 minutes ago, AggieLean said:

He’s been coaching that long? Damn I’ve been following the nfl too long. I’m getting old. I was 13 when he was hired. The bengals have been a pretty good franchise since I was 13

Yeah I guess it depends how you define "pretty good".  They haven't won a playoff game his entire 16 year tenure.  IMO tough to say that's pretty good

59 minutes ago, AggieLean said:

He’s been coaching that long? Damn I’ve been following the nfl too long. I’m getting old. I was 13 when he was hired. The bengals have been a pretty good franchise since I was 13

How many playoff wins in that span though?

1 minute ago, PantherNation123 said:

Yeah I guess it depends how you define "pretty good".  They haven't won a playoff game his entire 16 year tenure.  IMO tough to say that's pretty good

As a kid I remember the bengals being trash and a 4/5 win team. He doesn’t have the playoff wins, but he brought more winning to the Nati than they’ve ever seen. 

4 minutes ago, AggieLean said:

As a kid I remember the bengals being trash and a 4/5 win team. He doesn’t have the playoff wins, but he brought more winning to the Nati than they’ve ever seen. 

Yeah I guess that's just the definition of being OK with mediocrity.  Sure, he will make the playoffs sometimes, but with no playoffs wins in 16 years???  I would hate to be a fan of that franchise.  It's just accepting mediocrity without sugar coating it like JR did

2 minutes ago, PantherNation123 said:

Yeah I guess that's just the definition of being OK with mediocrity.  Sure, he will make the playoffs sometimes, but with no playoffs wins in 16 years???  I would hate to be a fan of that franchise.  It's just accepting mediocrity without sugar coating it like JR did

Unfortunately there’s 3 or 4 franchises that you can say haven’t accepted mediocrity. The rest of us are just on the treadmill, winning one season and losing the next. Lewis should’ve been gone 2 or 3 seasons ago, but chances are the next coach will have them on that same treadmill.

15 minutes ago, AggieLean said:

I see Marvin Lewis as one of those coaches who can guide you to a strong regular season and get you to the playoffs, at which point he'll completely fold.

Dennis Green used to be the same way. Marty Schottenheimer and Mike Smith too.

These guys fool people into thinking they're better coaches than they really are because they look at their regular season record. You have to look at what happens when you get to crunch time to really see whether a coach is good or not.

And then there's guys like Jeff Fisher who don't win in the playoffs or the regular season yet somehow are regarded as among the better coaches in the league. I have no idea how that works.

• 2 weeks later...

If I was a Bengals fan I would have literally ripped my hair out by now. They have literally have embraced mediocrity and feel comfortable with it. I've seen people try and defend this before with a few different things.

The most egregious is "Did you see the Bengal's before he got there?!!?!? THEY WERE WAY WORSE!" Wow you use to be trash, so you just accept a lifetime of never winning  A PLAYOFF GAME? Why even play the game if your not in it for Superbowls?

"He's a good coach and they've been solid for years!" Good? If I told you that you would hire a coach and he would not win a playoff game in 16 years for you and NO guarantee that he would win another going forward, WHO WOULD SIGN UP FOR THAT. He has very clearly demonstrated that he cannot get the job and furthermore, he's not a good coach at all. He continues to employ bums like Vontaze Burfict. 

Archived