• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

'The year of 54'

top dawg

Joe Person's article on Shaq Thompson depicts Shaq's 54 visions throughout the offseason.

“I ride by a car, I see 54. I look at a billboard, I see 54. I look at something (else) that says 54,” Thompson said. “So, I mean, that’s a sign in my eyes.”

He may see countless visions of his jersey number as a sign, but Shaq is still about his business, and he honestly has a great mindset even though he is the presumptive starter in lieu of TD's absence.

It’s not my position. It’s not TD’s position. It’s not anybody’s position. It’s an open market for anybody to play that position. That’s my whole mindset right now and that’s what I’ll go into camp with.”

But even that thought---perhaps even politically correct answer (not that Shaq doesn't really believe it) is not the most meaningful tidbit from Person's article, it's the fact that he realizes that he is playing among some greats and wants to be on the same page with them notwithstanding his expected ascension.

"But Thompson says he’s still trying to take his game to the level of his two teammates, pointing to Kuechly’s ability to diagnose an opponent’s plays as an example.

And even after three years in the NFL, Thompson still will sit down next to Kuechly or Davis in the meeting room to try to learn something new.

'I ask questions that I even know the answer to, just to make sure I see it the same way (Kuechly) sees it. And just to make sure we’re on the same page,' Thompson said. 'I do the same thing with TD or if I’m in with David (Mayo) or Ben (Jacobs) or something like that. I just want to make sure we all see it the same way.'

https://www.heraldonline.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article215499455.html

We've all seen Shaq whiff on some plays, as emphasized by negative Nanceys, but we've seen a whole lot more flashes of solidity, perhaps even greatness. Realize that Shaq is still young, and after a couple of years, and seasoning among great players at his position, now is the time for him to come into his own like other Panthers' notables before him. 

Archived