• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Eric Washington should get some blame for the defense too tbh

Saca312

On 10/8/2018 at 11:47 PM, Camp Fodder said:

I don’t think it’s effort. I think it’s scheme and we are just not as good on the DL as we thought we would be. Poe is sadly a downgrade from Star which is surprising how he beasted in Atlanta. JP is 38 and other than Addy our other pass rushers are JAGs. We need to target a top Edge rusher in FA or the draft. I wouldn’t mind trading for one this year if the opportunity presented itself

I’ve wanted more out of Poe too but he is eating blockers all day. No stats behind this, just eyeballs, but he seems to take a lot of double teams on. But that just goes to support your point, the ends aren’t very effective right now. I’m hopeful that an acclimated Reid and TD Back will give the line a half second longer to get to the QB. 

On 10/8/2018 at 8:49 PM, Saca312 said:

nah no analysis im too lazy for that rn. but really just some quick thoughts.

it’s clear eric washington is getting acclimated to being a DC for the first time ever. seems he’s heavily emphasizing front four pressure, which is normally good except in this case this front four isn’t as good as it should be and does deserve some blitzes to help with pressure.

However, biggest issue i see is some ill times decisions and blitz’. On the Giants failed fourth down conversation, it was real close to being an easy reception for Odell had he not dropped it. Even then, that could’ve been prevented all together had Luke not been put in for a blitz. Luke in coverage would’ve 100% had a pick on that play.

And then, in the 4th quarter, that last drive was ugly. Shaq was blitzed in the redzone and forced Obada to follow Barkley. As obviously seen, that didn’t go well.

Just some coaching errors that need to be fixed. It’s weird how Wilks was bad due to blitzing too much, and Washington not so much blitzing and just having them poorly timed. 

Anyhow, just some thoughts.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Bad play call to put Obada in pass coverage. Let Obada do his thing, which is pressuring the QB. A linebacker should have been covering Barkley. 

The problem is, McDermott was a good D coach. But he left. So they promoted Wilkes, hoping he would be a good D coach. He was okay, not good, but not bad. Then he left. So they promoted Washington, who wasn't a good Dline coach.

Stop promoting people that don't know what they're doing and hope they get better.

Archived