• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Eric Washington should get some blame for the defense too tbh

Saca312

nah no analysis im too lazy for that rn. but really just some quick thoughts.

it’s clear eric washington is getting acclimated to being a DC for the first time ever. seems he’s heavily emphasizing front four pressure, which is normally good except in this case this front four isn’t as good as it should be and does deserve some blitzes to help with pressure.

However, biggest issue i see is some ill times decisions and blitz’. On the Giants failed fourth down conversation, it was real close to being an easy reception for Odell had he not dropped it. Even then, that could’ve been prevented all together had Luke not been put in for a blitz. Luke in coverage would’ve 100% had a pick on that play.

And then, in the 4th quarter, that last drive was ugly. Shaq was blitzed in the redzone and forced Obada to follow Barkley. As obviously seen, that didn’t go well.

Just some coaching errors that need to be fixed. It’s weird how Wilks was bad due to blitzing too much, and Washington not so much blitzing and just having them poorly timed. 

Anyhow, just some thoughts.

So, we criticize him for not blitzing... then criticize him for blitzing?

Yeah, if you blitz and don't effect the QB then you're down in coverage. That's just the way it works. That's the trade-off. That's what everyone was screaming about with Wilks' blitz happy approach last year, but I think watching this DL try to create pressure without help is showing us why Wilks was blitzing like a mad man.

5 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

He already accepted responsibility. Do has our entire coaching staff. 

WTF

Can we please stop acting like our coaches want anything less than a Championship?

SMH

What does not wanting anything less than a championship have to do with any of this? 

Every coach wants to win a championship some just aren’t good enough to win them.

Like Ron Rivera

54 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, if you blitz and don't effect the QB then you're down in coverage. That's just the way it works. That's the trade-off. That's what everyone was screaming about with Wilks' blitz happy approach last year, but I think watching this DL try to create pressure without help is showing us why Wilks was blitzing like a mad man.

This is the correct and only answer.

My hope is that once Reid becomes more acclimated and with TD back we will start to blitz a little more.

I think our secondary of Bradberry, Jackson, Munnerlyn, Reid, Adams, and Gaulden are more capable of handling the blitz than Bradberry, Worley, Munnerlyn, Coleman, Adams, and Jones.

2 hours ago, raleigh-panther said:

The defense is bad...do not know if it’s effort, age, scheme

what i do know is Brees will torch the hell out of a team that has no pass rush

Not to mention corners that consistently play 10yards off WRs

I don’t think it’s effort. I think it’s scheme and we are just not as good on the DL as we thought we would be. Poe is sadly a downgrade from Star which is surprising how he beasted in Atlanta. JP is 38 and other than Addy our other pass rushers are JAGs. We need to target a top Edge rusher in FA or the draft. I wouldn’t mind trading for one this year if the opportunity presented itself

I think his game flow will get better with time. He has been out coached by some savvy OCs but let's not kid ourselves. The Giants had people who knew us very well. Outside of the Giants we have had a solid D. Not great but Solid. 

4 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Blitzes are Russian roulette if you don’t know what you are doing, and even worse if you are blitzing the great QBs. They’ll make you pay. 

But if you cannot get a pass rush out of your front 4, you need to mix in some blitzes unless you have the legion of boom back there 

I think the solution for is now is to just play the speed guys in there, jam receivers at the line and play man. 

15 minutes ago, LA_Panther said:

Blitzes are Russian roulette if you don’t know what you are doing, and even worse if you are blitzing the great QBs. They’ll make you pay. 

But if you cannot get a pass rush out of your front 4, you need to mix in some blitzes unless you have the legion of boom back there 

I think the solution for is now is to just play the speed guys in there, jam receivers at the line and play man. 

That and at all costs have the offense kill it with TOP and get a td every chance you can.  That seems to be our only real option this year.

In defense of our defense, they have been up against some pretty good competition, whatever the records of the teams were. Dak and Ezekial, Ryan and Julio, Dalton and Green, Eli and OBJ, and without TD in the game our LB corps has been playing with one hand tied behind their backs.

With Shaq playing Sam, he isn't as available to cover in blitzing schemes and its best to not push those when you're up against experienced QBs that will know that the weak spot is where Mayo is trying to cover. Dalton and Ryan are experienced enough to pick that spot up quick and the unflappable Eli would have ripped that up without ever cracking a smile. Dak... not so sure if he would have.

I think we'll see Washington dial up more blitzes this week, but not up to the Wilks levels. 

Archived