• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ace Boogie Newton passes Dan Marino

Jeremy Igo

7 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Colin Cowherd called Cam cat crap this morning. 

Colin Cowherd is the Rush Limbaugh of sportscasting.

most of what he says is just for shock effect to drive up ratings, regardless of his real opinion is.

most of these hack reporters are just about that these days— it’s not news, it’s professional wrestling— Jesse the Body vs Mean Gene,..

get the feathers ruffled and the stupid masses go nuts, watch more and make them money— if they spew clouds and roses all day nobody cares.

2 hours ago, JARROD said:

I know right,..

I just looked up Dan Marino 1984, his highest yards season over 5000, again, much more of an accomplishment than these days with the rules the way they are,... Dan had 564 pass attempts, 35 average per game,...48 passing TDs, 64.2% completion rate-- Dan threw phasers downfield on the shoulder or spot of a receivers choosing before the routes were finished, threw guys open in timing,...

Joe Montana,... 1984, 432 attempts for 3630 yards, 64.9% completion rate,..and he had Jerry Rice,...27 attempts per game--- more like the Rams now.

Jared Goff--477 attempts, 3804 yards, 62.1% comp rate, 28 Tds---- 30 attempts per game,...Drew Brees is the man---39 attempts per game the last 3 years. 

Wow, that truly sounds like nothing that happens now--- except for the panzy rules of course. There was no flag for roughing the passer-- there were celebrations instead and segments predating "He got Jacked Up".

Otherwise--football is football and revisionists are all the same whether they talk about history politics or sports.

What will always set Marino apart was everyone knew right away. He started 9 games and still started for the AFC as a rookie. There have been great rookie seasons, but no QB was considered a top 2 with Montana after about 6 weeks. He was so good that he completely reversed the philosophy of the winningest and most conservative coach ever til then. Let that sink in.  

And 1984 was still the best season I’ve ever seen from a QB. With context. Those records stood for 20+ years until rule changes. He beat the previous TD record by 12. Only QB I put on par with him for pure passing is Rodgers. 

He once went 19 games without getting sacked with a poor OL. That release was insane. 

Archived