• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fantasy Series Fans

Cdw

1 hour ago, Cdw said:

So, are any of you ASoIaF readers and not watchers of GoT?  I've had an easy time avoiding any spoilers the past few years, but this season seems like its gonna be a struggle... just random thought of the day

You're saying you don't watch the show?

OMG you don't know what you're missing!

So reading this thread, I haven' seen my all time favorite fantasy author. Perhaps it's because his books are a bit older and I read them as a teenager. Maybe I would have a different opinion if I read them now. But without  a doubt I thought they were the best I had read back then as the world building was good but the writing was actually excellent.

Raymond E. Feist - The Rift War Cycle (as it is called now)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Riftwar_Cycle

I'd start with the first trilogy and go from there:

The Riftwar Saga[edit]

1. Magician (1982), later republished in two parts in the United States as Magician: Apprentice (1986) and Magician: Master (1986)
  2. Silverthorn (1985)
  3. A Darkness at Sethanon (1986)

On 4/23/2019 at 11:44 AM, Bronn said:

You're saying you don't watch the show?

OMG you don't know what you're missing!

I stopped watching after s4 I think... at the time I still had a glimmer of hope that another book would come out, lol me.   Eventually Ill break down and finish the show

i’ve read the 5 available books, and watched up through season 7. don’t have HBO right now, so i’m trying hard not to accidentally see any details about the final season. 

the books clearly have a ton more detail, which is sometimes good, and sometimes a snoozer...looking at you book 4. they made quite a few changes the more you get past book one, but nothing i have a major problem with. i’ll be reading the remaining books as they come out. it’s a different experience, so worth it even if you know the result.

Just finished the first book of the Stormlight Archive. Absolutely loved it. I don't know what it is with Brandon Sanderson, but he pulls me in. He has a way with cliff hangers that make me want to keep reading and I love trying to guess what is going to happen only to be thrown a curve ball. He's a little PG in his writing, but that doesn't bother me too much. 

Speaking of cliffhangers, I've started reading the second book I'm mad at Brandon right now. Shallan is on the ship, something happens, and then he cuts to another character. UUUGGGGHHHH!!

In other news, has anyone heard of the series, Bobiverse? My co-worker told me about it and it sounded interesting. Not sure how I feel about Sci-Fi though.

• 2 weeks later...

I read the first Bobiverse book.  I liked the idea, and enjoyed most of the first book.  About 3/4 through, however, it started sounding a whole lot like a whiny IT guy just bitching up a storm and trying to prove that he's better than you.  That turned me off so much that I haven't read any more of them.  :)

one of my friends told me to check out Jeff Wheeler, who apparently has a zillion different series, and also Awaken Online by Travis Bagwell.  The Jeff Wheeler ones sound like standard stuff, and Awaken Online looks like a twist on the VR game concept.  Anyone know about either of these?

4 minutes ago, Mother Grabber said:

one of my friends told me to check out Jeff Wheeler, who apparently has a zillion different series, and also Awaken Online by Travis Bagwell.  The Jeff Wheeler ones sound like standard stuff, and Awaken Online looks like a twist on the VR game concept.  Anyone know about either of these?

Never heard of it :(

I just started The Black Prism by Brent Weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

Dont know if you saw that Bronn, thought it might interest you.   I still havent finished Red Skies... built a computer recently and have been wasting my free time gaming, need to get back to it

10 hours ago, Cdw said:

Dont know if you saw that Bronn, thought it might interest you.   I still havent finished Red Skies... built a computer recently and have been wasting my free time gaming, need to get back to it

Ha! I did see that this week as well. I'm looking forward to it. So far, he appears to be ahead of Rothfuss and Martin in the race to get out the next one.

Hopefully it doesn't take to long to get edited and returned, and then printed.

Right now, I'm still reading The Black Prism by Brent Weeks. I've been somewhat short on time to read as well, so I'm only about 125 pages in. It isn't too bad at all, and does remind me at times of the Night Angel trilogy.

• 2 months later...

I finished the first three books of Stormlight Archive yesterday. Really good stuff. I find that the books make me anxious because I just want the characters to break out of their ruts and become radiant again! I guess that's part of the process, though. The ending battle of Oathbringer was a fun read, but now I'm sad because I have to wait for the next book.

I'm going to take a break from fantasy and move into space for a bit. I started reading The Expanse series last night.

23 hours ago, Arroz con Panther said:

I finished the first three books of Stormlight Archive yesterday. Really good stuff. I find that the books make me anxious because I just want the characters to break out of their ruts and become radiant again! I guess that's part of the process, though. The ending battle of Oathbringer was a fun read, but now I'm sad because I have to wait for the next book.

I'm going to take a break from fantasy and move into space for a bit. I started reading The Expanse series last night.

On the space front, check out Hugh Howey's "Beacon 23."

It's a quick read, if you get time.

1 hour ago, Harbingers said:

@Cdw don’t know if it was mentioned but Wheel of Time if you haven’t read those. 

Yeah, I really do want to dive into WoT, especially with the upcomming series.  Also, a while back I found my old Kindle that I'd lost for a few years and I have the whole series on it - probably a sign that I need to jump on that.  But I need to finish up Gentleman Bastards first.   I tend to go on reading binges and then quit for a while, its about time to binge again.

Archived