• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam Mills III tasked with game management duties

MurkN

31 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

How much is Cam Newton's quality of play affected by Shaq Thompson?

Does Mario Addison become a better pass rusher when Greg Olsen has a good game?

Is Graham Gano more accurate when James Bradberry is playing well?

Players play together but they have limited ability to affect each other's personal performance.

Coaching, on the other hand...

And why we are discussing player interactions yeah offense and defense work together. If the defense gives the offense short fields we will score more points so it makes their job easier. And obviously the offense works as a unit as do special teams and defense. So yeah players do directly impact each other's personal performance as well as the team's. Your extreme examples are once again irrelevant to the conversation.

1 hour ago, panthers55 said:

Again you are the master of extreme characterizations and throwing all kinds of crap against the wall hoping something sticks.

Of course coaches are judged by wins or losses and great coaches can take mediocre talent and make them better like Rivera and Shula did in 2015 with arguably the worse receiver group in the NFL. And yes Cam played fantastic as well.

It is also true that coaches can only work with what they are given. The same folks who excuse Cam because he didn't have enough talent criticize Rivera who had the same talent to work with. Seifert had a great record  in San Francisco and then came here and engineered the 1-15 season. So was he great because he won there and crappy here? Or maybe wins and losses aren't just about coaches. It takes talent as well.

So then it's Marty Hurney who actually sucks. Good to know. I agree.

Of course, there are also some coaches who can take even half decent rosters and elevate their play. It's good to see you admitting that Rivera isn't one of them.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

So then it's Marty Hurney who actually sucks. Good to know. I agree.

Of course, there are also some coaches who can take even half decent rosters and elevate their play. It's good to see you admitting that Rivera isn't one of them.

It is hard to elevate them year after year but often a new coach can get more out of a unit at first  or like Shula and Rivera did in 2015, they can create a new scheme or game plan around deficits. But you have to keep changing things up as opponents figure you out and adapt to your changes. So to continuously win with average to poor talent is beyond the ability of most coaches no matter how good.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The idea that coaching can make a player better it's surprising to you? :thinking:

That explains a lot.

You know what has infinitely more of an impact on making a player better? Talent....something a coach still needs to have in his players to field a good team.

Matt Kalil sucks? Hey, why haven’t we fired John Matsko!! Devin Funchess drops a lot of passes? Ugh get rid of Lance Taylor...what a bum. Oh wait we did get rid of Lance Taylor. Hey maybe you’re onto something after all!!

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

How much is Cam Newton's quality of play affected by Shaq Thompson?

Does Mario Addison become a better pass rusher when Greg Olsen has a good game?

Is Graham Gano more accurate when James Bradberry is playing well?

Players play together but they have limited ability to affect each other's personal performance.

Coaching, on the other hand...

Finally I'm glad someone else gets it!

3 hours ago, panthers55 said:

No you always try and make extreme characterizations and put words in other posters responses to try and make a point. 

It is your stick to think a 2 time coach of the year who our owner has confidence in is terrible just because you say it over and over. You troll as much or more than I do. Your MO is use off the wall extreme examples to try and justify your constant criticisms of the coaches and front office.

Coach of the year! Wow that's great, because he really earned those. SMDH

18 minutes ago, steven8989 said:

Cam earned every bit of that, Ron didn't earn any of those. Are u on the Panthers staff, trying to make excuses for his sorry ass.

That is ridiculous logic. Anyone with a modicum of football knowledge knows that special years like 2015 require great efforts across the board. At least argue that just because a coach has a great year it doesn't mean he can't have poor seasons or that it makes him a great coach all the time. At least you can defend that whether you are right or wrong. But to negate Rivera as if he hadn't nothing to do with the season just keeps anyone from  taking you seriously.

7 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

That is ridiculous logic. Anyone with a modicum of football knowledge knows that special years like 2015 require great efforts across the board. At least argue that just because a coach has a great year it doesn't mean he can't have poor seasons or that it makes him a great coach all the time. At least you can defend that whether you are right or wrong. But to negate Rivera as if he hadn't nothing to do with the season just keeps anyone from  taking you seriously.

No one is taking u seriously since u are taking up for someone that has had only like 3 good seasons out of 8.

2 minutes ago, steven8989 said:

No one is taking u seriously since u are taking up for someone that has had only like 3 good seasons out of 8.

That is fine. My self-esteem doesn't come from being king of the critics and parroting all the negative criticism that every disgruntled fan brings up on this forum. Maybe my taking up for Rivera partly comes from coaching different sports for 40 years albeit at a much lower level and understanding many of the criticisms dumped on coaches are unwarranted and exaggerated  Sure Ron has his faults and surely still has a numbers of things he can and should improve upon. But the extreme characterizations being constantly slung around here are ridiculous. 

He has also had only 3 seasons where his record for that season was worse than the year before. And in each of those he had a plethora of injuries at critical positions. 2 of those years it was Cam.

On 2/13/2019 at 9:10 PM, LinvilleGorge said:

Honestly, my hopes are dashed after watching this. This is just slapping a title on him and nothing more. Rivera is pretty much sitting there saying that nothing is going to change and that Mills III and Skipper have been helping him in this department all along.

If my suspicions are correct, Sam should've politely declined. Not exactly a great thing to have that title on your resume when we have some of the worst clock management I've ever seen.

I might not say it quite that strongly, but yeah that video didn't exactly bolster my confidence.

Rivera basically did say that they're not really doing anything different. They're just giving Mills a title and an addendum to his job description.

I normally think confidence is a good thing, but not when it's misplaced. And the sad truth is that Ron Rivera seems to think he's a lot better coach than he actually is.

On 2/13/2019 at 7:33 AM, MechaZain said:

imagine being so bad at your job that your boss invents a position to hand off your responsibilities

Or so bad that you get removed after a poo show only to be left with the position and pay but now your direct boss will do your job. So you're there... Collecting a check.. twiddling your thumbs. 

That's what Eric Washington is doing now. 

Archived