• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Kyle Allen Actually A Good QB?

Saca312

This is also the first time in 25 years the franchise has been in the position of “have franchise QB, but other guy is winning games and playing well”. Kerry Collins imploded before Beuerlein came in and took over (and did quite well in 1999). Matt Moore did this late in 2007, and 2009, but I believe it was clearer that Jake was at the end of the line by 2009. Not sure we’re at that point with Newton yet. (Jake was closing in on his mid-30’s by then).

It’s all very new to the fan base, particularly the younger fans. I believe that explains a little bit of the panic out there. It’s a lot to digest. 

Speaking of peripheral issues that help to win games: I’ve been highly impressed with punt coverage this year. Not only blocked punts, but plays like this:

There have been a couple decent returns, but for the most part it’s been very solid.

No catastrophes. Limited penalties. This helps to win games.

7 minutes ago, ellis said:

I like Tim over there at the Panthers Wire. He raises some valid points. I’m less concerned about stacking up Kyle’s results vs who he played and more concerned with how comfortable he looks running this offense. The competition amps up vs SFO next week. 

He hasn’t come in and thrown a handful of ill-advised picks. The fumbles: highly problematic. But I’m hopeful he’s cleaned that up. He’s accurate, particularly on the intermediate stuff. He’s also done a great job in “bounce-back” situations, drives that follow an opponent’s score or his own turnover.

He’s been blessed with line play that appears to be finally meshing (as it typically does in October under Matsko). The pass/run ratio has been balanced. The recommitment to power football up front has been a huge part of the streak.

There are some valid points (albeit nothing that hasn't already been mentioned on these boards), but his writing doesn't appear to be entirely objective either.  How are you gonna tout Joey Slye carrying a heavy load as a reason for Kyle's success?  First off, FGs are generally still a function of your offense moving the ball (aside from points off turnovers, which he already addressed in a previous point).  Secondly, Slye was 6-7 on FG in the first 2 games, and 7-11 on FG in the last 4 games...you could argue he hurt us more than he helped us.

Also stated that Allen lost 6 fumbles which is wrong...he fumbled 6 times and lost 4.  He says he is "frankly lucky that number isn't higher", but that does not seem like an impartial objective assessment to make...I'm not sure how he even figures that.  Losing 4 of your 6 fumbles isn't lucky and until last game, Allen was fumbling on pretty much every sack...it couldn't have possibly been much worse.

I just try to look at the facts. He hasn’t lost yet, four of his five wins on the road, he’s fumbled a lot, it appears he’s cleaned that up. 10 career TD’s, 0 career INT. 

That’s a pretty good body of work through five games. I want to see more.

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Speaking of film review: If you're tired of Kyle Allen vs Cam Newton, here's a breakdown of Kyle Allen versus Kyler Murray by Ted Nguyen on The Athletic (subscription required)

Ted's Film Room

Ted is really good at what he does. Respect it a lot.

Goes over Kyle's anticipation and breaks it down even further. I like that a lot.

And well, on the Panthersfilm character, to his credit he also knows his stuff. Yet he does have a huge bias towards Cam Newton and honestly his film review was exaggerated and a bit too harsh on Kyle.

I agree with some of his points, but to think Allen can't play QB is a pretty bad take given what I've seen so far. 

On 10/18/2019 at 1:21 PM, ellis said:

Even then, it’s prudent to not be an absolutist. Football is a funny game, full of strange bounces and odd moments. Not everything can be quantified. 

Probably the best summary of Football I've ever seen.

So true. Even with film and numbers, not everything can be explained. So many variables in everything.

Archived