• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Best Cam Contract Extension Possibility

CanadianCat

3 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

You need someone to run the draft in a couple of months. They’ve been out in the field scouting all year. Tepper could technically hire someone who has been out in the field but that limits you somewhat. 

OK.  However, why fire Ron at this time then?

The answer was so Ron could have time to look around, and we could get a jump on looking around as well.

Are you telling me that Hurney is going to have a say in the next head coach, only to be demoted after the draft is over?  If so, that's as ass backward as you could possibly do this.

If that's not the plan, then Tepper is looking to do the hire of a new head coach first, then hire a GM after the draft.  Again ass backwards.

If Tepper is considering keeping Hurney on as GM moving forward....well, I wouldn't call it ass backwards, I would call it being a dumb ass.  Let's hope Tepper isn't a dumb ass.

Just now, thefuzz said:

The answer was so Ron could have time to look around, and we could get a jump on looking around as well.

Are you telling me that Hurney is going to have a say in the next head coach, only to be demoted after the draft is over?  If so, that's as ass backward as you could possibly do this.

If that's not the plan, then Tepper is looking to do the hire of a new head coach first, then hire a GM after the draft.  Again ass backwards.

If Tepper is considering keeping Hurney on as GM moving forward....well, I wouldn't call it ass backwards, I would call it being a dumb ass.  Let's hope Tepper isn't a dumb ass.

I added some stuff to my original post.

and Tepper is on record that he will be the one selecting HC. Marty has nothing to do with it.

1 minute ago, thefuzz said:

There's kind of some indication of that though.

Tepper actually stated that the head coach he hires will have some input on who gets that VP job. Said elsewhere that makes me automatically think of McDaniels and Caserio, but there are other possibilities.

Also worth mentioning that one of Tepper's frequently speculated targets, Kevin Colbert, is under contract through the draft.

Just now, TheRumGone said:

Who can we hire right now. We are more than likely hiring someone who is employed by another organization.

The point.  You are supposed to have a GM in place to help ownership with the hiring of a head coach.  They have a very special relationship, and you simply cannot force square pegs into round holes.

So if what you are saying is correct.  We keep Marty on to run the draft....that's in April.  The majority of the coaches that are going to be considered will wrap up their season in late Jan or early Feb.  That's when the interviews wills start outside of coordinators that didn't make the playoffs, or college coaches.

Tepper makes his hire.

What legitimate GM is going to come into a situation where he can't pick his head coach?

4 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

The point.  You are supposed to have a GM in place to help ownership with the hiring of a head coach.  They have a very special relationship, and you simply cannot force square pegs into round holes.

So if what you are saying is correct.  We keep Marty on to run the draft....that's in April.  The majority of the coaches that are going to be considered will wrap up their season in late Jan or early Feb.  That's when the interviews wills start outside of coordinators that didn't make the playoffs, or college coaches.

Tepper makes his hire.

What legitimate GM is going to come into a situation where he can't pick his head coach?

I don't think that's how it's gonna run though.

From what we've seen so far, Tepper will pick the head coach. The head coach will have input on the new VP. And there's a pretty good chance the new VP becomes the de-facto GM or possibly Tepper reassigns Hurney or just plain sh-tcans him in favor of an available at that time Kevin Colbert.

Regardless of how it plays out, I think there's a good chance that Marty's days as a full power GM are over.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

I don't think that's how it's gonna run though.

from what we've seen so far, Tepper will pick the head coach. The head coach will have input on the new VP. And there's a pretty good chance the new VP becomes the de-facto GM or possibly Tepper reassigns Hurney or just plain sh-tcans him in favor of an available at that time Kevin Colbert.

Regardless of how it plays out, I think there's a good chance that Marty's days as a full power GM are over.

Does that process not seem backward to you?

Just now, thefuzz said:

Does that process not seem backward to you?

Admittedly a little...

With that said, replacing both of those positions in one offseason really isn't easy. That's why I suggested previously that you might just go for two guys who already have a connection.

I just didn't expect it might be McDaniels and Caserio.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Admittedly a little...

With that said, replacing both of those positions in one offseason really isn't easy. That's why I suggested previously that you might just go for two guys who already have a connection.

I just didn't expect it might be McDaniels and Caserio.

I'm still dumbfounded we kept Marty after last season, or even Tep's first season here.

That said, I somewhat understand what you are saying and the timing of the contracts for coaches and GM's being different, I just think it will hamper our ability to get a real GM in place.

However, if he has had his mind on a Colbert as President, Caserio as GM, and McD as HC, I could somewhat understand it.

Not saying I would love it, but it's certainly better than what we've had.

10 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Tepper makes his hire.

You still didn’t answer my question. I get your concerns but it seems like Tepper has a plan. I mean this dude knows how to run a business. I’m not too concerned as long as Marty isn’t the end all be all for drafting, contracts and roster building.

Archived