• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Best Cam Contract Extension Possibility

CanadianCat

Start with a 1 year extension. That reduces the risk for both sides. From the Panthers' perspective, they get extra time to evaluate him, don't make the "$36 million mistake" that Tepper spoke about and they don't have to use trade capital to move up in the draft immediately. 

From Cam's side, he gets a year to prove himself. If he returns to form, the contract is short enough to where he'll be able to take a piece of this QB market. On the downside, he won't be playing on a lame duck deal with no guaranteed money. And he won't face the risk of getting franchise tagged next year should be ball out.

I think that's the most reasonable compromise for both sides.

Has to be something both parties agree. For the Panthers, it would need to be a contract with protections added in, such as an ability to cut without consequences in a short period. For Cam, he would need to see enough money to be a contract that puts him in the upper echelon.

I've said all along that I could see a 5-year contract being offered in which the real term of the contract is 3 years. In other words, the last two years are option years that are not likely to be realized, but inflate the contract enough to make the deal palatable for re-signing. Brees has signed contracts like this where the poison pill is in the out years, but then has a new contract in place to kick the can down the road.

Always comes back to is he completely healthy?   

If so....1 dollar more than Matt Ryan. With some protection on injury. 

I think QB salaries are out of whack.  However even teams with plenty of cap suck.   I don't see a direct correlation between having salary cap flexibility and having a good team. 

That being said.. the real question is what would he play for?  His body got hurt on the Carolina Panther watch.  Maybe got extended because we wouldn't bench him when hurt.  So I wouldn't play without guarantees behind that offensive line. 

4 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

I honestly don't extend him until he proves he can stay healthy. 

Said the same thing about Davis back in the day. 

It would be the dumbest thing they could do to extend him without seeing if he holds up a full season.

33 minutes ago, DubE_4MR said:

Start with a 1 year extension. That reduces the risk for both sides. From the Panthers' perspective, they get extra time to evaluate him, don't make the "$36 million mistake" that Tepper spoke about and they don't have to use trade capital to move up in the draft immediately. 

From Cam's side, he gets a year to prove himself. If he returns to form, the contract is short enough to where he'll be able to take a piece of this QB market. On the downside, he won't be playing on a lame duck deal with no guaranteed money. And he won't face the risk of getting franchise tagged next year should be ball out.

I think that's the most reasonable compromise for both sides.

I like this plan.

The Carolina Panthers have well over 100 million dollars tied up in two linebackers just because. I get the apprehension to Newton's future from the injury standpoint obviously. But in terms of resource allocation, no quarterback worth his salt is ever going to be "affordable" again, and the penny pinchers need to accept that or consider watching another sport.

Archived