• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

New HC and future at QB

ncfan

New HC and QB going forward  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What is the bigger draw for a new HC

• Cam (even with his uncertainty)
    • Kyle Allen/Grier

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

But I think I want my HC and GM to be 100% on the same page on this one. You're off to a really bad professional relationship if they aren't.

So here is where this leads us.

So Everyone thinks the selling point to land a new coach is Cam and seems and astounding 0 thinks selling Grier/Allen.  And agreed, the coach and GM Need to be on the same page.  So unless Norv is coming in and taking over HC.   Outside of Cam no QB on this roster is going to entice a half decent HC to come here.

So does this mean thats its a Stone Cold Lock that either

A. Cam

Or 

B. Draft/FA 

Is going to be our QB next year.  AND on top, these conversations/plan will need to be met eye to eye by the time the new HC agrees to sign here.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Honestly, this is probably one of the first things I'm asking any prospective HC or GM candidate I'm seriously considering if I'm Tepper. How are you gonna handle this QB situation?

I'd lay all my cards on the table in terms of everything I knew about the situation in terms of Cam's current health, the opinion on future prognosis from the medical team, what Cam is wanting in terms of potential contract extension, etc. and simply ask them, "Well, what are you gonna do?"

Is it fair to ask that of a guy who's just coming into the situation though?

That's kind of like two people arguing asking a stranger to settle it for them.

1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

Option 3: Keep Cam and bring in a totally new system and QB to groom going forward.

Option 4: Cut all QB's currently on the roster because the new offense requires a different QB not currently on the roster.

Option 5: Well you see how this goes.

Option 5: Tank for Trevor Lawrence? 

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah it is, because fair or not it's going to be one of if not the first major decision on their plate.

I get that, but they're not going to be as informed on the topic is the people who are already here.

And of course, for all we know the new head coach may just want to pick his own guy. That's pretty common.

We've seen both sides of it. Rivera wanted his own guy. Fox wanted somebody that another team had already developed so that he didn't have to do the work.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

I get that, but they're not going to be as informed on the topic is the people who are already here.

And of course, for all we know the new head coach may just want to pick his own guy. That's pretty common.

We've seen both sides of it. Rivera wanted his own guy. Fox wanted somebody that another team had already developed so that he didn't have to do the work.

So if you have a coach that wants to pick his own guy and a GM wanting to roll with Cam at least through 2020, you know you have a problem right off the bat.

That's why I think you have to put it on the table and get an answer out of them.

6 minutes ago, WaterBoy said:

Option 5: Tank for Trevor Lawrence? 

I'm never in favor of tanking for a particular guy. What if Lawrence blows out his knee? What if he's a bust? What if next year is just like this year and there's an epic suck fest battle for the #1 overall spot?

There's just too many things that can go wrong to roll into a season with the plan to flush a season down the toilet to get a particular guy.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

So if you have a coach that wants to pick his own guy and a GM wanting to roll with Cam at least through 2020, you know you have a problem right off the bat.

That's why I think you have to put it on the table and get an answer out of them.

Does Marty's opinion matter at this point, though?

And what if the answer is "I don't know yet" or "I'd need more information"?

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Definitely. 

I’ll also add that Tepper probably knows what he wants to do with Cam and won’t hire guys that want to do the opposite of that

Speaking of...

The word on McDaniels in past years was that he was only willing to go to a team that had a settled quarterback situation. That's why the Colts were an option because they had Luck.

(that turned out to be a lot less settled than anybody thought but nobody knew it at the time)

There are a lot of adjectives that you could use to describe our quarterback situation. "Settled" isn't one of them. And yet, Breer says we're one of the teams that McDaniel wants to come to.

Tricky...

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Does Marty's opinion matter at this point, though?

And what if the answer is "I don't know yet" or "I'd need more information"?

Hopefully not.

Honestly, that's a good answer. That's what I'd be hoping to hear. It's not a decision that should be made in knee-jerk fashion. Take all the info I provided you (as a reminder you signed an NDA), think it over and get back to me in 48 hours.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Speaking of...

The word on McDaniels in past years was that he was only willing to go to a team that had a settled quarterback situation. That's why the Colts were an option because they had Luck.

(that turned out to be a lot less settled than anybody thought but nobody knew it at the time)

There are a lot of adjectives that you could use to describe our quarterback situation. "Settled" isn't one of them. And yet, Breer says we're one of the teams that McDaniel wants to come to.

Tricky...

He's not the only one

NO coach wants to go to a situation that doesnt have a established QB situation, a young highly drafted touted guy they plan to build around (see Haskins, Daniel Jones), or a Plan to draft one That year.  

1 minute ago, ncfan said:

He's not the only one

NO coach wants to go to a situation that doesnt have a established QB situation, a young highly drafted touted guy they plan to build around (see Haskins, Daniel Jones), or a Plan to draft one That year.  

Most new head coaches are coming into teams that have bad situations of some sort, QB frequently being one of them.

Of course, by the time they get to this point, most of them have egos the size of a mountain so they probably think they can handle it.

Archived