• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Any info on how the squad gets built for 2021?

NAS

I am hoping we can have a competitive roster out the gate like Atlanta.  I am encouraged that Tepper has hired people with experience running professional soccer teams.  That said, how does it actually work in MLS?  Do they get first option in the draft, what about free agents, designated players, etc?  It's a lot to do in only a year. 

There will be an expansion draft this time next year where the new teams will get to pick players from the existing MLS rosters. Obviously, each of those existing will have players not available for that, but I believe that's how the initial roster is built

3 hours ago, MtnJax said:

There will be an expansion draft this time next year where the new teams will get to pick players from the existing MLS rosters. Obviously, each of those existing will have players not available for that, but I believe that's how the initial roster is built

Is the team able to purchase players or bring them from loans in their first year? I'm sure Tepper will want to bring in a star player and not shy away from paying the sort of money to bring one in.

1 hour ago, DeSim said:

Is the team able to purchase players or bring them from loans in their first year? I'm sure Tepper will want to bring in a star player and not shy away from paying the sort of money to bring one in.

yes, all player acquisition mechanisms will be available. the expansion draft will build the nuts and bolts of the roster, while purchases and free transfers will supply most of the real quality

MLS has regularly tried to recalibrate the rules for the expansion draft, to prevent it from being either too loaded (see: 1998) or too sparse... we'll see how they run it this time around

Archived