• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Honors - Discussion Thread

Mr Mojo Risin

3 minutes ago, t96 said:

Yep. And his “record” isn’t even that impressive.... Yards and TDs matter, not catches. His YPC is putrid for a #1 receiver.

Believe me, I know.  As much as I hate Thomas, id take him in a heart beat on the Panthers.  His catching ability is probably the best in the NFL.  Beyond that he is good but nothing amazing.  Great clutch receiver to have when you need someone to make a play and move the chains but he isn't a world breaker. I know my opinion is slightly biased but I am certain most people who are not Saints fans would agree with what I am saying.  

3 minutes ago, Wolfpredator said:

Michael Thomas  REC 149  Yards 1725  AVG 11.5 9 TD's

Comparing our own 2005 Season

Steve Smith REC 103 Yards 1563  AVG 15.2 12 TD's

Smith was obviously not force fed nearly as much as Thomas ( not Thomas's fault, dude is a beast and catches everything thrown to him ) with all that said, smith had 46 LESS Receptions but was only 162 Yards away from having the same yards as Thomas ( literally 12 more catches for Steve with his average, which was nearly 4 yards better per reception ).  

Id argue that 2005 Smith had a better season, no matter about the receptions.  Now line him up with McCaffrey's seasons who had THIRD all time Scrimmage yards only behind the great Marshall Faulk and Chris Johnson.  Third player in NFL History with 1000 / 1000 and 10 more Total TD's.  As Tupac said to Bugaboo after he asked for his basketball jersey in "Above the Rim", IS THIS A JOKE???!!!!????!!!  Somebody tell me this is a fuggin joke?!?????

And obviously Smith did that while on a run first offense like he did his entire career. That's why when it's time for him to go into the HOF (2022?) they take a long hard look at who his quarterbacks were and the type of offenses he played in. He literally was the only threat in the passing game for a long time. He definitely deserves to get in.

12 minutes ago, Wolfpredator said:

Believe me, I know.  As much as I hate Thomas, id take him in a heart beat on the Panthers.  His catching ability is probably the best in the NFL.  Beyond that he is good but nothing amazing.  Great clutch receiver to have when you need someone to make a play and move the chains but he isn't a world breaker. I know my opinion is slightly biased but I am certain most people who are not Saints fans would agree with what I am saying.  

Yeah he’s definitely a great receiver but there are 10 or more other guys I’d take over him in a heartbeat. He’s not really a true elite threat. Teams don’t gameplan for him much, they usually just let him get his 5-10 yard chunks when he’s open. More of a Larry Fitzgerald who is obviously great as well (better route runner than Thomas) than a Julio, Megatron, Beckham, Brown, Hopkins, Evans, etc. Very consistent receiver but has never scared me like those guys do.

16 minutes ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

And obviously Smith did that while on a run first offense like he did his entire career. That's why when it's time for him to go into the HOF (2022?) they take a long hard look at who his quarterbacks were and the type of offenses he played in. He literally was the only threat in the passing game for a long time. He definitely deserves to get in.

He’ll be a HoFer for damn sure. Maybe not first ballot but that guy is as good as anyone to come through this league. Yes, even Rice. Didn’t quite have Rice’s longevity, but imagine a prime Smitty in that 49ers offense with Montana throwing him the ball... He put up those numbers with relatively poor QB play and with Fox/Rivera as HCs... That says it all.

Archived