• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Would you do this deal?

Actionman0z

32 minutes ago, theinstrumental said:

In a heartbeat. A first, second, and two thirds? That's good return for a top player in the league, and we don't even know what the guy we'd take at 7 is going to be yet.

A huge part of the value of a draft pick is the cheap contract. The best way to get elite talent for minimal cap impact is a high draft pick.

9 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

You don't, "we" as in the people who make those decisions do, and have prepared for almost every possible scenario that could/would happen in front of us.

Well, the Panthers may not be doing that as we have a fool at the helm, but most teams are.

There's plenty of literature that shows that GMs have historically overvalued their ability to make the right choice even at the top of the draft, starting with the Thaler/Massey study here: https://www.nber.org/papers/w11270. That's been incorporated into the Chase Stuart draft value chart which assigns much lower values to the very highest picks. By that chart, we're getting a 177% return in this trade. 7 is closer to 15 than we traditionally think, so the extra second and two thirds is a big win.

4 minutes ago, theinstrumental said:

There's plenty of literature that shows that GMs have historically overvalued their ability to make the right choice even at the top of the draft, starting with the Thaler/Massey study here: https://www.nber.org/papers/w11270. That's been incorporated into the Chase Stuart draft value chart which assigns much lower values to the very highest picks. By that chart, we're getting a 177% return in this trade. 7 is closer to 15 than we traditionally think, so the extra second and two thirds is a big win.

Do with it what you may, the question was asked and answered.

I wouldn't take the deal, make another team come up with more for Tua or Herbert or whomever they would be trading up for, hopefully a QB.

13 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

A huge part of the value of a draft pick is the cheap contract. The best way to get elite talent for minimal cap impact is a high draft pick.

Totally agreed. That's why I'd jump at three more bites at the apple. 15's still a really good pick, and considering the number of holes on our roster, the extra second and two thirds are probably our best shot at fielding a competitive defense. Brown would help our run defense, but so would building depth along the line, and the extra picks let us do that.

5 minutes ago, theinstrumental said:

Totally agreed. That's why I'd jump at three more bites at the apple. 15's still a really good pick, and considering the number of holes on our roster, the extra second and two thirds are probably our best shot at fielding a competitive defense. Brown would help our run defense, but so would building depth along the line, and the extra picks let us do that.

No, I definitely get where you're coming from. There's certainly an argument to be made for piling up picks, especially when you have a ton of holes.

19 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

No, I definitely get where you're coming from. There's certainly an argument to be made for piling up picks, especially when you have a ton of holes.

If we were rebuilding, I would have taken the trade offer, but with a different player attached, but we aren't, so here we sit.  We are just shooting for below average at this point, which should make most Panther fans feel right at home.

Archived