• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sherrod Martin still starting this week?

Mr ocho nueve

I guess hindsight is always 20/20, but I don't remember anybody on this board complaining about Godfrey when he first got here. Lots of HC's like to draft versatile players too, so that's not specific to John Fox either. New England goes after guys like that all the time and they don't always succeed with their draft picks either. Godfrey is just not as good as they thought he was, and that's all there is to it. That doesn't mean that he will never be good though. Maybe sitting on the bench and seeing things from a different perspective for a while is what he needs to step up his game. You never know.

BTW, I also find it ironic that so many people were saying that Martin was a wasted pick and that Munnerlyn was waaay better than him after only a couple of pre season games. Nevermind the fact that Martin had to deal with an injury that set him back, and he was learning two different positions.

What makes me pissed is that if Fox wanted a FS why didn't he get a guy like Craig Steltz or Tom Zbikowski (more of a SS but he could be depth at both positions). Why does he seem to be obessed with getting these guys that he believes played outta position in college and will be good once converted. I love Davis (but he was piced 14th overall and it took 4 season to be worth that pick) but I believe both the experiments of Martin (at CB) and Godfrey (at FS) are both over. I believe Martin keeps the starting FS position and Godfrey becomes a swing player (playing all over the secondary as needed). I think that is were they both have the best chance to succeed.

BTW why on earth did Fox not bring in some good vet talent at FS last year. Was he really expecting a guy that played CB in college would perform up to starting expectations?

I can't think of any example other than Davis when you say "why does he seem to be obsessed with getting these guys that he believes played outta positions in college"...

Seems to me that's a fairly inaccurate statement.

Now versatile, is another thing. You find that mostly along the OLine, which is a good thing and much easier to manufacture than other positions. But I didn't think your statement was referring to versatility.

I guess hindsight is always 20/20, but I don't remember anybody on this board complaining about Godfrey when he first got here. Lots of HC's like to draft versatile players too, so that's not specific to John Fox either. New England goes after guys like that all the time and they don't always succeed with their draft picks either. Godfrey is just not as good as they thought he was, and that's all there is to it. That doesn't mean that he will never be good though. Maybe sitting on the bench and seeing things from a different perspective for a while is what he needs to step up his game. You never know.

BTW, I also find it ironic that so many people were saying that Martin was a wasted pick and that Munnerlyn was waaay better than him after only a couple of pre season games. Nevermind the fact that Martin had to deal with an injury that set him back, and he was learning two different positions.

Ah.. yes. A point I've been thinking of making, but figure the mass amount of people who constantly have knee jerk reactions wouldn't pay attention to the crow they should be eating...

Patience is not a virtue. It's a discipline. And all too many people here have no concept of either definition.

I can't think of any example other than Davis when you say "why does he seem to be obsessed with getting these guys that he believes played outta positions in college"...

Seems to me that's a fairly inaccurate statement.

Now versatile, is another thing. You find that mostly along the OLine, which is a good thing and much easier to manufacture than other positions. But I didn't think your statement was referring to versatility.

Godfrey played CB his last 2 years in college Fox and Hurney drafted him with the intention of playing FS. Martin played FS the majority of his college career and he drafted him to compete for the Nickel Corner. In 2 consecutive years he drafted a guy early with the intention of playing them in different position so my statement was correct. In both cases there were better players available to be picked at the position he intended them to play (Sean Smith this Year, Craig Steltz the year before).

You do know that Martin played nickel a good bit in college, right? Lots of safeties have done that. And who's to say that he can't play CB in the NFL? He damn sure has the athletic ability to play both positions. They just happen to need him more at FS right now.

I don't have the link but Gantt reported that Godfrey didn't even make the trip. I really hope the medical staff takes it slow with his injury and makes sure he is fully healed before they send him back out there. Maybe they should put him on IR just to be sure. You know, you can't be too careful.
:lol::smilielol5::rofl: Haha Yea all of a sudden out of no where we put godfey on IR for some strange reason. That would be so funny if that happen. :biggrin:

You do know that Martin played nickel a good bit in college, right? Lots of safeties have done that. And who's to say that he can't play CB in the NFL? He damn sure has the athletic ability to play both positions.

Its not whether or not he may be able to, to me. IMO the draft is already a crapshot. So why add difficulty to the scouting process by trying to decide that. And if you draft a guy in the 2nd only to play Nickel then your a idiot. A 2nd round pick IMO should be a every-down starter. I like Martin so far but IMHO Godfrey has been a bust and a huge weakness for our D so far in his career.

Its not whether or not he may be able to, to me. IMO the draft is already a crapshot. So why add difficulty to the scouting process by trying to decide that. And if you draft a guy in the 2nd only to play Nickel then your a idiot. A 2nd round pick IMO should be a every-down starter. I like Martin so far but IMHO Godfrey has been a bust and a huge weakness for our D so far in his career.

You're right. Fox is an idiot and Martin was a bad draft pick, nevermind that Martin looked better in his first NFL start than any FS the Panthers have had since Mike Minter. You obviously know best.

You're right. Fox is an idiot and Martin was a bad draft pick, nevermind that Martin looked better in his first NFL start than any FS the Panthers have had since Mike Minter. You obviously know best.

Can you read? Martin has only played one game lets give him a season before you start crowing his a$$.

people were/are on munnerlyns nuts because he went to SC. I have not been real big on him so far. Yes hes big and physical and yes that's what we needed at cb. However, he is not a starter right now and Sherrod has already out played him.

Are we thinking of the same Munnerlyn here? ;)

I'm no USC fan, but I really like what I've seen from Munnerlyn. He hasn't had a big game like Martin has yet, but I don't think that's any reason to say Martin has outplayed him.

Whether he's a starter yet doesn't matter. Martin had only to beat out an injured Godfrey to get his starting position, while we all know Munnerlyn's not going to beat out Gamble or Marshall -- who himself played nickel a couple years.

Bottom line is this: Godfrey's not cutting it at safety. Could he be moved to corner? Sure, but I don't think there's any way he starts. Martin should get another shot to prove he's not a one-game wonder and the beneficiary of a great pass rush. And Munnerlyn is doing exactly what we need him to do -- playing pretty well when we need him to in the nickel.

Can you read? Martin has only played one game lets give him a season before you start crowing his a$$.

Really? You didn't even give him half a pre season before you starting bashing his ass and complaining that the coach was an idiot for drafting him in the first place. Do you know what a hypocrite is?:rolleyes:

Really? You didn't even give him half a pre season before you starting bashing his ass and complaining that the coach was an idiot for drafting him in the first place. Do you know what a hypocrite is?:rolleyes:

Once again I must tell you to read. I complained because he drafted Martin to play Corner when Sean Smith was still available. Not to mention it was a reach. He most likely would have been there at least in the 3rd if not the 4th.

Archived