• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QBs at the top of the 2nd round of the NFL Draft

rey2009

Well the Wake offense is really hurt by a shitty OL and no running game whatsoever, not to mention Grobe who is very conservative with the offense.

not to mention skinner sucks and plays in the easiest division this side of the big 10

Actually, I agree with you, he won't make it to us, but at the same time, I think he's gonna have problems like Pennington has had.

so you're predicting he's going to injure that same shoulder three times, never let it heal properly, have a coach that forces him out there before he's ready, and....not have a strong arm to begin with.

hmm yes tell me more

so you're predicting he's going to injure that same shoulder three times, never let it heal properly, have a coach that forces him out there before he's ready, and....not have a strong arm to begin with.

hmm yes tell me more

Already Injured it twice, he's one away ;)

Btw, Fiz, what do you think about Crompton, I know he started slow, but he's seems to have hit stride.

Already Injured it twice, he's one away ;)

Btw, Fiz, what do you think about Crompton, I know he started slow, but he's seems to have hit stride.

a good half against florida and two good games against memphis and alabama don't make up for 3 years of poo

I really do like Riley Skinner, mostly because of his excellent accuracy.

Wouldn't you agree that his accuracy is mostly due to the fact that he doesn't throw more than 10-15 yards down the field at a time?

That's one of those things that you can't improve upon like you can (somewhat) with arm strength and his decision making is pretty good.

He holds on to the ball way too long, which is what causes him to be sacked a lot more than his offensive line. Granted, they are not great, but his indecision to me is the biggest component.

Another key is that he's started all 4 years in college and has a lot of experience which is optimal compared to a guy who has only played 2 or 3 years. It makes a difference. It's important to note he has improved each and every year he has been at Wake, and the offensive talent around him has never really been anything special with the exception of a couple players here and there.

He has all the intangibles you could ask for and he is even very athletic and able to make plays outside of the pocket, not to mention the ability to perform under pressure. Even when getting sacked 6 times against UNC this year he still put up 360+ yards to help them beat the Heels. Hell the crazy thing is that Grobe is FINALLY letting him play to his potential rather than handcuffing him and he has really responded. He leads the game to wins with a team that probably shouldn't be winning, and that's the kind of guy we need here.

Wake has not played UNC in football this year, which makes me think you are referring to his game against NC State....in which case, their defense is the equivalent of Garinger High School. And this is coming from a huge Wake fan, who will agree that he's done a lot for the Deacs, and agrees with all of your points about leadership and athleticism....however, the realist in me doesn't see his skill set translating to the NFL.

seriously riley skinner my god what is wrong with you people

why don't you just say "we should draft the guy who plays for the school i went to"

armanti edwards 2010

That's the norm around here, didn't you see all of the Pat White threads last year?

I swear to god though if someone types the words TJ Yates....

raise your hand if you understand the difference between a spread and a pro style offense

no one in this thread should be raising your hand. jesus I hate you all

The unfortunate reality is that almost every QB in the draft this year is coming from a spread system. If we want to draft our future QB then we are forced into picking someone who didn't come from a spread system.

Campbell is NOT the answer though, he cannot read defenses at all, has no decision making ability and he doesn't have the other intangibles you really want in a QB. Even accounting for all the system changes he's had we'd just be yet another system change for him...

Wouldn't you agree that his accuracy is mostly due to the fact that he doesn't throw more than 10-15 yards down the field at a time?

Prior to this year I'd have agreed with you but he's getting a lot more chances to throw downfield with Grobe taking the reigns off and he's blossomed. He has nearly 8ypa in a conference that has fairly good defenses. Even if that's all he can do all we really need for the Panthers is a guy who can make those short throws and give Smith/Moore/Williams/Stewart/etc a chance to make a play after getting the ball in their hands. Our current QB definitely cannot make those throws routinely enough.

He holds on to the ball way too long, which is what causes him to be sacked a lot more than his offensive line. Granted, they are not great, but his indecision to me is the biggest component.

Yeah but looking at the receiving corps they need that much time to get open... For a QB who holds onto the ball a long time he does have a very good completion percentage and a low interception rate. He does make good decisions though, which is what draws me to want him as a QB rather than a lot of the other choices on the board.

Wake has not played UNC in football this year, which makes me think you are referring to his game against NC State....in which case, their defense is the equivalent of Garinger High School. And this is coming from a huge Wake fan, who will agree that he's done a lot for the Deacs, and agrees with all of your points about leadership and athleticism....however, the realist in me doesn't see his skill set translating to the NFL.

Sorry it was NC State, had a brainfart there. My only gripe with him is his average arm strength but it's not exactly bad and even then we don't really need that kind of a QB anyways. He is at least a better option than any of the other draft picks out there (that are available to us at least).

The only other real option would be to hope for getting Troy Smith but I just don't know if the Ravens are going to let him go...

Archived