• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QBs at the top of the 2nd round of the NFL Draft

rey2009

We've had this discussion in a couple other threads, but here are some possibilities:

Ryan Mallet-ARK (most likely would be top 20 if he came out, but might slip a little)

Jevan Snead-MISS (was a top 15 prospect, but hasn't showed that on the field)

Those are the only two who are really worthy of being picked at the top of the second round (discluding Locker, Claussen, and Bradford, although Bradford might slip with the injury). They said Bradford's recovery time is 4-6 months, the draft is 6 months away, so if it takes him 6 months to recover, he would probably slip into the second round, but I'm not so sure we would take a QB with those injury concerns.

Thats all for the second round QBs.

In the third round, we might look at:

Tim Hiller-WMU (a guy I really like)

Tony Pike-CIN (a guy I really DISlike)

Colt McCoy-TEX (I wouldn't mind him, hes just a little smaller than we'd like)

In the 4th there would be guys like:

Dan LeFevour-CMU (I wouldn't mind him here, but early third is a bit too early for him IMO)

Timothy Richard The Golden Calf of Bristol-FLA (I like him as a leader, not so much as a QB, but who knows)

Zac Robinson-OKST (I don't really like him, but in the 4th he would be solid value at this point, although I see his stock slipping into the late rounds as the draft process continues)

Some late round guys would be:

John Skelton-FORD

Rusty Smith-FLAA

Max Hall-BYU

Jarrett Brown-WVU

Levi Brown-TROY

We've had this discussion in a couple other threads, but here are some possibilities:

Ryan Mallet-ARK (most likely would be top 20 if he came out, but might slip a little)

Jevan Snead-MISS (was a top 15 prospect, but hasn't showed that on the field)

Those are the only two who are really worthy of being picked at the top of the second round (discluding Locker, Claussen, and Bradford, although Bradford might slip with the injury). They said Bradford's recovery time is 4-6 months, the draft is 6 months away, so if it takes him 6 months to recover, he would probably slip into the second round, but I'm not so sure we would take a QB with those injury concerns.

Thats all for the second round QBs.

In the third round, we might look at:

Tim Hiller-WMU (a guy I really like)

Tony Pike-CIN (a guy I really DISlike)

Colt McCoy-TEX (I wouldn't mind him, hes just a little smaller than we'd like)

In the 4th there would be guys like:

Dan LeFevour-CMU (I wouldn't mind him here, but early third is a bit too early for him IMO)

Timothy Richard The Golden Calf of Bristol-FLA (I like him as a leader, not so much as a QB, but who knows)

Zac Robinson-OKST (I don't really like him, but in the 4th he would be solid value at this point, although I see his stock slipping into the late rounds as the draft process continues)

Some late round guys would be:

John Skelton-FORD

Rusty Smith-FLAA

Max Hall-BYU

Jarrett Brown-WVU

Levi Brown-TROY

I dont think Mallet comes out this year and McCoy helped his stock a lot with his game on Sat.I could see snead falling but if we take him he needs to sit for a year.one plus is snead runs out of a NFL type offense..not just the spread.

If The Golden Calf of Bristol's there I take him.

I wouldn't. Give me a QB who makes a bunch of average players look better than they are, not a guy who is on a team loaded with talent and wins whether he plays well or not.

If Riley Skinner had more arm strength, he would be a solid NFL pick. Fwiw, I think that Thad Lewis might be worth a look. Good arm strength and accuracy and decent mobility as well. And he has been able to win at Duke.

Snead's decision making, accuracy and timing have been horrible this year. Do not want this guy at all. He has great arm strength, yes, but there have been plenty of QBs with strong arms that never did anything in the NFL.

Pike reminds me of Shaun Hill. He'll probably be a halfway decent backup somewhere. Not someone I would take if you need a franchise QB, even as a project. Just don't see much upside there.

Ponder has looked really good as of late and he seems to be constantly improving. I'm hoping he comes out this year.

Hiller is another guy I like but our current offense is basically the exact opposite of what would best suit his skillset. You'd really need a system that uses alot of screens, dumpdowns and spreads the ball around the field. Davidson worked under Charlie Weis with a similar system so assuming we have a new HC a change there might be a possibility.

Zac Robinson, pass on this guy except as maybe a very late round project.

LeFevour has looked decent but not overly impressive from what I've seen. Another late round guy. I'd take him before Robinson.

I think there's a good chance Bradford is there at the top of the 2nd. I'm on the fence if I'd want him or not. He's a boom or bust pick, especially with the injury.

McCoy and Claussen almost certainly will be gone by the 2nd. The other guys I haven't seen much of, or at all, so I don't know.

I really do like Riley Skinner, mostly because of his excellent accuracy. That's one of those things that you can't improve upon like you can (somewhat) with arm strength and his decision making is pretty good. Another key is that he's started all 4 years in college and has a lot of experience which is optimal compared to a guy who has only played 2 or 3 years. It makes a difference. It's important to note he has improved each and every year he has been at Wake, and the offensive talent around him has never really been anything special with the exception of a couple players here and there.

He has all the intangibles you could ask for and he is even very athletic and able to make plays outside of the pocket, not to mention the ability to perform under pressure. Even when getting sacked 6 times against UNC this year he still put up 360+ yards to help them beat the Heels. Hell the crazy thing is that Grobe is FINALLY letting him play to his potential rather than handcuffing him and he has really responded. He leads the game to wins with a team that probably shouldn't be winning, and that's the kind of guy we need here.

Archived