• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Updated GM Update

Mr. Scot

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Taking one of the guys that doesn't have a personnel background to me basically equates to putting Rhule in complete charge of the football roster. I'm not necessarily a fan of that model.

There's another part of it that bothers me more though.

Matt Rhule stated pretty clearly that what he wanted in a GM is a talent evaluator that can help him build a roster. If David Tepper chooses someone else, he's basically ignoring Rhule and overriding his wants with his own.

I would trust David Tepper with any financial decision, but when it comes to football I haven't even seen enough that I'd let him choose my fantasy football lineup.

So we'll see...

All of that. Rhule asked for the help and we need it. Analytics can have value but I sure as hell don't want that to be over talent evaluation. 

14 minutes ago, Woodie said:

The more I hear, the more I like about Peters.  From a mailbag with Matt Barrows (the 49ers beat writer for the Athletic), it sounds like Peters is the guy that has been running their draft.

In the same mailbag, he mentioned two potential Brady replacements if he gets one of the HC jobs.  Mike LaFleur (the 49ers passing game coordinator) and Mike McDaniel (the 49ers run game coordinator) are both hot up and coming OC candidates, and would be well known to Peters if he is the GM hire and Brady does move on.  Could be a logical fit.

Lynch isn't a talent evaluator, and he knew that. That's why he hired Peters.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Lynch isn't a talent evaluator, and he knew that. That's why he hired Peters.

Yeah, but it also means that if we do hire Peters, he's basically already ran a draft.  So, the learning curve would be smaller than for most 1st time GM's.  It's just another positive if we hire him.

4 minutes ago, Woodie said:

Yeah, but it also means that if we do hire Peters, he's basically already ran a draft.  So, the learning curve would be smaller than for most 1st time GM's.  It's just another positive if we hire him.

There are a lot of positives to hiring him.

I'm really hoping they see that.

On 1/7/2021 at 3:36 PM, Mr. Scot said:

The split...

Experienced Talent Evaluators:

Jeff Ireland
Adam Peters*
Ed Dodds
Joe Schoen*
Monti Ossenfort
Ryan Poles
Jerry Reese
Nick Caserio (out of the running)

*Peters and Schoen have both said that analytics is a part of their process.

Guys with alternate backgrounds:

Kwesi Adofo-Mensah
Champ Kelly
Brandt Tilis
Nick Matteo (interview declined)

Both Ian Rapoport and Albert Breer have credited the non-traditional choices to David Tepper.

Have said before, if I'm looking at making a financial decision, I'd absolutely ask David Tepper. If it's a football decision though, I'd much rather talk to Matt Rhule.

Where's Fitterer?

Just now, SizzleBuzz said:

Yeah but he didn't make any of your lists. 

How did you miss him?  Were your "insiders" put of the loop?

If you check the Final Four thread, you'll see a full profile.

Fitterer wasn't discussed in any of the threads last week because his interview wasn't even announcement till Monday.

Prior to that, Albert Breer had mentioned a while back that we might be interested in him but there was nothing official till this week.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

If you check the Final Four thread, you'll see a full profile.

Fitterer wasn't discussed in any of the threads last week because his interview wasn't even announcement till Monday.

Prior to that, Albert Breer had mentioned a while back that we might be interested in him but there was nothing official till this week.

Yeah but you have insider-info and zeroed in on lots of candidates before any "announcements" were made...

...where was Fitterer?

Was he even on the radar at all?

Archived