Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

Recommended Posts

My current "5" list:

1. Daily Drinker - Old Granddad Bonded or Buffalo Trace

2. Impress your guests - Knob Creek 120 Barrel Pick

3. Cheap Mixer - Buffalo Trace or Evan Williams Single Barrel

4. Friday Night Bourbon - Old Forester 1920 or Woodford Double Oaked Store Pick

5. Special Occasion Bottle - Blanton's Store Pick

  • Pie 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I love lists, so I'm in! Will have to bend the rules a little bit, in that I'm going to do a Scotch list. I like Bourbon, but I only have one bottle currently (Blanton's).

  1. Daily drinker- Dewar's. It's in the crystal decanter in my home office, because if you're not going to see the label anyway, it might as well just be your daily in your classiest serving vessel.
  2. Impress your guests- Kilchomen Machir Bay. If you can't appreciate the peat, beat your feet.
  3. Cheap mixer (and for guests you know won’t appreciate it) - Glenfiddich 12. Which is a lie. It's just my low-end "quality" scotch. The real answer is Seagram's Whiskey, because I'd never sully a scotch by mixing it.
  4. Something great- your Friday night bourbon - Auchentoshan 12. Not super special. I'd usually say Balvenie Caribbean Cask, or Auchentoshan Three Wood, but I'm plum out.
  5. The saving for a special occasion bottle - I have a bottle of Glenmorangie Extremely Rare 18 that I bought as a gift, but kept for personal reasons. I don't know when I'll ever open it. I'll need a big promotion or close a monster deal.
  • Pie 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Captroop said:

I love lists, so I'm in! Will have to bend the rules a little bit, in that I'm going to do a Scotch list. I like Bourbon, but I only have one bottle currently (Blanton's).

  1. Daily drinker- Dewar's. It's in the crystal decanter in my home office, because if you're not going to see the label anyway, it might as well just be your daily in your classiest serving vessel.
  2. Impress your guests- Kilchomen Machir Bay. If you can't appreciate the peat, beat your feet.
  3. Cheap mixer (and for guests you know won’t appreciate it) - Glenfiddich 12. Which is a lie. It's just my low-end "quality" scotch. The real answer is Seagram's Whiskey, because I'd never sully a scotch by mixing it.
  4. Something great- your Friday night bourbon - Auchentoshan 12. Not super special. I'd usually say Balvenie Caribbean Cask, or Auchentoshan Three Wood, but I'm plum out.
  5. The saving for a special occasion bottle - I have a bottle of Glenmorangie Extremely Rare 18 that I bought as a gift, but kept for personal reasons. I don't know when I'll ever open it. I'll need a big promotion or close a monster deal.

Sweet! Thanks for posting this. 

I've been looking to start dipping my toes into Scotch. This kind of helps me out.

  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, therealmjl said:

Sweet! Thanks for posting this. 

I've been looking to start dipping my toes into Scotch. This kind of helps me out.

I hated it at first. But once you develop a taste, it's really hard to go back.

If you're looking for a gateway Scotch; I think most people go for the "Mac' 12." The Macallan. Very approachable for your Irish Whiskey or Bourbon drinker.

But my personal recommendation is to order a glass of the Compass Peat Monster or Ardbeg 10 next time you're at the bar, and see if you like the smokiness.

  • Beer 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Daily Drinker - Buffalo Trace (when I can get it) or Bulleit

2. Impress your guests - Elijah Craig 18 year (I was an early adopter and got a case in '09 before the bourbon boom, down to 2 unopened bottles)

3. Cheap Mixer - Woodford Reserve (also a daily drinker)

4. Friday Night Bourbon - Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

5. Special Occasion Bottle - I don't really have one of these on hand. I'm thinking the last 18-year EC bottle will take this role, it is good stuff and crazy expensive to replace.

Edited by Luuuuuuuuuuke59
  • Flames 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Luuuuuuuuuuke59 said:

1. Daily Drinker - Buffalo Trace (when I can get it) or Bulleit

2. Impress your guests - Elijah Craig 18 year (I was an early adopter and got a case in '09 before the bourbon boom, down to 2 unopened bottles)

3. Cheap Mixer - Woodford Reserve (also a daily drinker)

4. Friday Night Bourbon - Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

5. Special Occasion Bottle - I don't really have one of these on hand. I'm thinking the last 18-year EC bottle will take this role, it is good stuff and crazy expensive to replace.

Nice list.

Oftentimes I find that your daily drinker and cheap mixer are kind of interchangeable. 

 

That EC18 is a special bottle. Good on you for holding on to them for so long.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Daily Drinker - Weller Special Reserve or Maker's Private Selection or Michter's Unblended

2. Impress your guests - George T. Stagg

3. Cheap Mixer - Buffalo Trace Store Pick

4. Friday Night Bourbon - Old Forester 1920 or Weller Antique 107

5. Special Occasion Bottle - Old Forester Single Barrel Barrel Strength or Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...