• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurricanes "Taxi Squad" appears to be set after yesterday's waiver activity.

zacka77ack

Due to the uncertainty surrounding COVID-19 and the potential for any player, at any time, to be restricted from team activity, the NHL is allowing each team to carry and travel with an additional 4 - 6 players. Collectively, this group is referred to as the "Taxi Squad". Normally, these individuals would be assigned to an AHL affiliate and be restricted by certain rules and call up procedures. This year, the Taxi Squad circumvents these otherwise prohibitive procedures in the event an extra person is needed because of a COVID positive test.

Yesterday, the Canes placed Calder Cup champion goalie and Charlotte Checkers alumni Alex Nedeljkovic on waivers and as of early this afternoon it had been confirmed that he passed through unclaimed. "Ned" will join forwards Morgan Geekie, Steven Lorentz and Max McCormick, and defensemen Jake Bean and Joakim Ryan to round out the 6 man squad for the Canes.

Keep an eye on the Cabbies as this year is sure to be unlike any other.

22 minutes ago, zacka77ack said:

Due to the uncertainty surrounding COVID-19 and the potential for any player, at any time, to be restricted from team activity, the NHL is allowing each team to carry and travel with an additional 4 - 6 players. Collectively, this group is referred to as the "Taxi Squad". Normally, these individuals would be assigned to an AHL affiliate and be restricted by certain rules and call up procedures. This year, the Taxi Squad circumvents these otherwise prohibitive procedures in the event an extra person is needed because of a COVID positive test.

Yesterday, the Canes placed Calder Cup champion goalie and Charlotte Checkers alumni Alex Nedeljkovic on waivers and as of early this afternoon it had been confirmed that he passed through unclaimed. "Ned" will join forwards Morgan Geekie, Steven Lorentz and Max McCormick, and defensemen Jake Bean and Joakim Ryan to round out the 6 man squad for the Canes.

Keep an eye on the Cabbies as this year is sure to be unlike any other.

Wait Bean and Geekie ended up on the "Taxi/Practice" Squad? I thought for sure Geekie was making the active this year. Oh well shows what I know.

45 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Wait Bean and Geekie ended up on the "Taxi/Practice" Squad? I thought for sure Geekie was making the active this year. Oh well shows what I know.

The problem with having depth. I hope Geekie gets to showcase his talent again this year in some games with the big boys.

13 hours ago, CanesFanDan said:

Lots of former checkers on the taxi squad, and I expect plenty of these guys to get minutes because of the schedule format. RBA said Bean looked awesome at camp and we all saw Geekie in action at the end of last season. If they get minutes they'll produce. 

I hope so. These guys have to have a level of frustration since it appears they are stuck between teams. Taxi Squad rules prevent them from playing/practicing with the AHL affiliate, but their ice time with the NHL team may be limited. Hopefully these guys get to see some live shifts and don't sour on the Taxi Squad designation.

Archived