• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Patrick Surtain II

MHS831

Big CB, rarely bites on double moves--outside #1 Alpha CB.  Why not introduce him into the conversation, even  as soon as #8?

Let's say Sewell is gone to Bengaland, and he probably will be.  Pitts?  A Falcon.  Trevor (Jax), Wilson (Jests), Fields (Niner), Lance (Lion)--gone.  Chase?  a Dolphin.

The Panthers take Surtain, CB, Alabama.  You mad?

Even without a trade down, the way the draft is shaking out, a solid #1 Alpha 10 year CB could be the smartest move---the KIND of CB the Panthers need is probably gone by pick 20-30.

I know--you all have been pounding your chest for a T.  Sniff.  But he gone. Pitts?  gone. 

While a LT makes your QB better, a #1 CB makes your pass rush better, the #2 CB better, and the S better.

I am starting to think we are going to try to move back and grab Surtain, Horn, or Farley.  I think they will wait to see what happens to the 2 Tackles, maybe only Sewell and Pitts, then move back.  Call me crazy.

• Pie 1

I love the second round of this draft, so if we trade down I'll be happy if we get a second.

I don't know Fitterer and Rhule's blueprint for building this team, and in what order they plan to address positions. That makes it impossible to really venture a good guess if we'd spend a 1st on a CB right now with the o-line lacking a LT.

Fox/Hurney went Jordan Gross in 2003, and then Chris Gamble in 2004. LT > CB.

Our marquee players are CMC and DJ. They have to explode for this team to win. A LT helps protect our QB who might be seeing ga ga ga ghosts, and helps CMC as well.

I think 2022 will be our #1 CB draft year. We do need someone to slow down the lethal WRs we face in the NFCS.

We can't go through 2021 with this being the narrative:

"Darnold would be good if the Panthers protected him. They're ruining Darnold just like the Jets."

That can't happen. No CB is worth that. The ball goes all over the field in the 4th quarter no matter who you have at CB. Fix the passing offense first.

Edited by pantherj
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, pantherj said:

We can't go through 2021 with this being the narrative:

"Darnold would be good if the Panthers protected him. They're ruining Darnold just like the Jets."

That can't happen. No CB is worth that. The ball goes all over the field in the 4th quarter no matter who you have at CB. Fix the passing offense first.

Good points.  I think if we take CB in round 1, we might have to move back, then take a T and WR in round 2 to avoid that stigma.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, pantherj said:

If I feel certain of anything in this draft it's we're taking a OT in the 1st or 2nd round.

WR/TE if Pitts/CB and a T.

I think we are trading back to find 3 starters OR to replace the Darnold 2022 draft picks or both.

We are going to get one of our 16 first round grades on our board, and then we will have 3 picks in rounds 2-3.  Move back with New England or Minnesota (the sleeper to move up for a QB imo) and sit back and take a Farley.  At 39, take the best LT on the board--they are all better than what we have.  Move back into the second for a WR.

LTs I would take in the second round  (red means they could be gone by pick 39, but if they drop, we will take them, imo):

Walker Little (has not played in 2 years, but was mechanically sound.  Would be a first rounder if he played.  Screw the knee injury--he has had time to let it heal.

Dillon Radunz is a mauler who needs a bit of pass protection fundamental work, but he is nearly as good as his NDSU QB.

Sam Cosmi will drop, but he has a ton of experience in pass protection at Texas with a 90 grade.  Not bad.  Do not be surprised to see Carolina move up in the second to get Cosmi.

Liam Eichenberg (ND) is a solid tackle who will give you all he has and does not make mental mistakes.  Limited ceiling, but he is plug and play in the mid second round.

Teven Jenkins (OKSt) might be my favorite, but he also might be a RT.  Still, we need depth their and he is a mauling run blocker.  Play him at RG if LT is not something he can do and if Moton wants to be paid like a LT while playing RT, then let him go.

Alex Leatherwood (I am not a fan, but I will put him here anyway)

There are also some later Ts that I really like:  Spencer Brown (RT), Brady Christensen, Hudson from Cincinnati and Ball from Marshall.  All can play backup for a year and compete in 2022. 

10 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Big CB, rarely bites on double moves--outside #1 Alpha CB.  Why not introduce him into the conversation, even  as soon as #8?

Let's say Sewell is gone to Bengaland, and he probably will be.  Pitts?  A Falcon.  Trevor (Jax), Wilson (Jests), Fields (Niner), Lance (Lion)--gone.  Chase?  a Dolphin.

The Panthers take Surtain, CB, Alabama.  You mad?

Even without a trade down, the way the draft is shaking out, a solid #1 Alpha 10 year CB could be the smartest move---the KIND of CB the Panthers need is probably gone by pick 20-30.

I know--you all have been pounding your chest for a T.  Sniff.  But he gone. Pitts?  gone. 

While a LT makes your QB better, a #1 CB makes your pass rush better, the #2 CB better, and the S better.

I am starting to think we are going to try to move back and grab Surtain, Horn, or Farley.  I think they will wait to see what happens to the 2 Tackles, maybe only Sewell and Pitts, then move back.  Call me crazy.

That’s how I’ve looked at this draft. We need lots of pieces and are in great position to add a few. If there’s what we think is a franchise LT available, we take him. If not, we add a starter at another position of need. I believe we can do that as late as 15 (OT, CB, WR) if not later.

Clearly, a trade back shouldn’t happen until we’re on the clock though.

• Pie 1

On 4/25/2021 at 8:11 AM, section543 said:

That’s how I’ve looked at this draft. We need lots of pieces and are in great position to add a few. If there’s what we think is a franchise LT available, we take him. If not, we add a starter at another position of need. I believe we can do that as late as 15 (OT, CB, WR) if not later.

Clearly, a trade back shouldn’t happen until we’re on the clock though.

yeah, you have to see who is on the board at 8

On 4/24/2021 at 11:57 PM, MHS831 said:

LTs I would take in the second round  (red means they could be gone by pick 39, but if they drop, we will take them, imo):

Walker Little (has not played in 2 years, but was mechanically sound.  Would be a first rounder if he played.  Screw the knee injury--he has had time to let it heal.

Dillon Radunz is a mauler who needs a bit of pass protection fundamental work, but he is nearly as good as his NDSU QB.

Sam Cosmi will drop, but he has a ton of experience in pass protection at Texas with a 90 grade.  Not bad.  Do not be surprised to see Carolina move up in the second to get Cosmi.

Liam Eichenberg (ND) is a solid tackle who will give you all he has and does not make mental mistakes.  Limited ceiling, but he is plug and play in the mid second round.

Teven Jenkins (OKSt) might be my favorite, but he also might be a RT.  Still, we need depth their and he is a mauling run blocker.  Play him at RG if LT is not something he can do and if Moton wants to be paid like a LT while playing RT, then let him go.

Alex Leatherwood (I am not a fan, but I will put him here anyway)

There are also some later Ts that I really like:  Spencer Brown (RT), Brady Christensen, Hudson from Cincinnati and Ball from Marshall.  All can play backup for a year and compete in 2022. 

Randunz has been my rd 2 guy from the get go, when I assumed we'd go QB at #8. That hasn't changed, the guys  beast, and stood out while I was watching lance tape. 

Jenkins looks like your friend's nerdy little brother, but plays angry! Always seems to put that extra little FU at the end of a play, I love that! FWIW, he has 7 starts at LT to go along with his 25 at RT, so he can play over there if needed, at least in college.