Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

Why Tommy Stevens will be the #3 QB


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

I am very concerned we are gonna see a return to force feeding the ball to CMC. Not sure how many noticed how he was often used in his limited action last season. 

 

I hope not, especially since we have the great Tommy Stevens to spell him, as long as he is not giving one of our other 11 starters time to recuperate. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PootieNunu said:

Do you want Taysom Hill to play for us? He is an overpaid backup QB. The guy played 43 % of the saints snaps on offense last season and he has the 8th highest cap hit on the team. 

I dont know about you, but I dont want any part of that. 

Are you making the argument that we will pay Stevens $12m?  It means that he has that much value to the Saints--not the Panthers.  Stevens will make under $1m.  So what is your point?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MHS831 said:

Are you making the argument that we will pay Stevens $12m?  It means that he has that much value to the Saints--not the Panthers.  Stevens will make under $1m.  So what is your point?

Im making the argument that Tommy Stevens will never be more than camp fodder at the least or a special teamer at most. 

Im also making the argument that paying Hill that much and taking away snaps from meaningful pieces of your offense is dumb for the saints. 

Stevens will make under 1m this season, but if we start trying to force him onto the field to block or catch, I think it is a mistake. 

Not taking away from your opinion that Stevens can replicate what Taysom Hill does, just saying I would rather not have a Taysom Hill. I dont think he adds anything to the saints offense. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PootieNunu said:

fug that, its stupid af when the saints do it. Let the guys play the positions they were trained to play. 

Aren't these unsupported opinions of yours that you are making to support an assumption?  This game is about match ups--putting your strengths against their weaknesses.  So if you have CMC, Marshall, Moore, Anderson, Arnold and Smith in pass formations and bring in Stevens, a 6-5, 235 4.49 QB--how are you matching up with that? 5 skill players that can catch and run sub 4.5 40s.  A QB who can run a 4.5 or throw it 65 yards.  The defense would have to have 4 DL and 1 LB to stop it.  So is your LB, if he is not blocked, good enough to stop Stevens?  Are your DBs?  That is the move.

Stupid, right?

Edited by MHS831
  • Beer 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

Im making the argument that Tommy Stevens will never be more than camp fodder at the least or a special teamer at most. 

Im also making the argument that paying Hill that much and taking away snaps from meaningful pieces of your offense is dumb for the saints. 

Stevens will make under 1m this season, but if we start trying to force him onto the field to block or catch, I think it is a mistake. 

Not taking away from your opinion that Stevens can replicate what Taysom Hill does, just saying I would rather not have a Taysom Hill. I dont think he adds anything to the saints offense. 

No, you are not making arguments.  You are stating opinions.  Arguments require concrete support.  Opinions noted. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MHS831 said:

Aren't these unsupported opinions of yours that you are making to support an assumption?  This game is about match ups--putting your strengths against their weaknesses.  So if you have CMC, Marshall, Moore, Anderson, Arnold and Smith in pass formations and bring in Stevens, a 6-5, 235 4.49 QB--how are you matching up with that? 6 skill players that can catch and run sub 4.5 40s.  A QB who can run or throw it 65 yards.

Stupid, right?

So we are playing with 7 skill players, 3 ol, and a QB? Or is stevens the QB in this situation and we have 4 ol?? ( which I cannot stand let your QB run the game)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

No, you are not making arguments.  You are stating opinions.  Arguments require concrete support.  Opinions noted. 

So you have concrete support that he can play any of those other positions? He played QB in college and he was not great at passing or rushing. 

You are entitled to your own opinion as I am mine. Tommy is fast on a straight line, maybe he should run track? Plenty of guys are fast and tall, that does not mean they can play h-back or TE effectively. 

Where are your reasons he will succeed other than derp taysom hill derp. Oh and he is fast and tall.

For comparison, Ian Thomas is 6"4' runs a 4.7 and played TE in college, he still sucks. 

Edited by PootieNunu
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I am very concerned we are gonna see a return to force feeding the ball to CMC. Not sure how many noticed how he was often used in his limited action last season. 

 

me too...unless Chuba gonna be up in the mix on the regular...we are already seeing CMC breaking down before our eyes...thanks to that dipsht we had as a coach prior...

 

  • Pie 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PootieNunu said:

So you have concrete support that he can play any of those other positions? He played QB in college and he was not great at passing or rushing. 

You are entitled to your own opinion as I am mine. Tommy is fast on a straight line, maybe he should run track? Plenty of guys are fast and tall, that does not mean they can play h-back or TE effectively. 

Where are your reasons he will succeed other than derp taysom hill derp. 

My support is the athleticism, his skill set, and the scheme I have seen before.  I am saying that he is a #3 QB that can provide a unique wrinkle to the offense.  Taysom Hill is my evidence.  They did not pay him $12m to be a derp.  I have provided matchup scenarios, provided his size/speed/skill set, and I have shown the relationship he has with Brady.  Tommy is fast straight line--yes.  He is.  We are not talking about a starter here--we are talking about re-imagining the #3 QB position.  That is the part you are missing--well, one of them.

You have shown, "Derp Taysom Hill Derp."  You almost pinned me there.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am really not trying to mock anyone, just bring good points to the table.  I try to have an open mind and love it when someone changes it--but you gotta have a case.  "Derp?"

Do better. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MHS831 said:

My support is the athleticism, his skill set, and the scheme I have seen before.  I am saying that he is a #3 QB that can provide a unique wrinkle to the offense.  Taysom Hill is my evidence.  They did not pay him $12m to be a derp.  I have provided matchup scenarios, provided his size/speed/skill set, and I have shown the relationship he has with Brady.  Tommy is fast straight line--yes.  He is.  We are not talking about a starter here--we are talking about re-imagining the #3 QB position.  That is the part you are missing--well, one of them.

You have shown, "Derp Taysom Hill Derp."  You almost pinned me there.

 

 

If he is our #3 qb and never gets to see the field except for on special teams fine. If we start putting him in to take out guys that actually spent their college career training for that position, then I have a problem with that. There is no evidence he can play any position other than QB, and he does not even play that at a high level. 

He is fast on a straight line with little to no agility, hill at least has some agility. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, MHS831 said:

I am really not trying to mock anyone, just bring good points to the table.  I try to have an open mind and love it when someone changes it--but you gotta have a case.  "Derp?"

Do better. 

I am not either, but stop comparing him to Taysom Hill when he has done none of the things Taysom does. That is not evidence. 

Edited by PootieNunu
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PootieNunu said:

 If we start putting him in to take out guys that actually spent their college career training for that position, then I have a problem with that. There is no evidence he can play any position other than QB, and he does not even play that at a high level. 

He is fast on a straight line with little to no agility, hill at least has some agility.

What is being described is not a position--it is a wrinkle.  A different look.  Something to make the defenses prepare for all week.  A chance to create mismatches.

What does Grier do?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

I am not either, but stop comparing him to Taysom Hill when he has done none of the things Taysom does. That is not evidence. 

What evidence was there of Taysom Hill doing this before leaving BYU? He was at Green Bay--cut.  So he found a way to stay in the league by using substandard QB skills for the NFL and his speed to create a "position" with the Saints.  And you are saying Stevens can't do that.  As a QB, he would not be in the league right now.  He is in the league because he is an athlete who plays QB.  In this role, you do not need a 70% passer--you need a multiple threat. 

Edited by MHS831
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...