• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

There was one sack, 0 interceptions and 0 QB fumbles in our 1st preseason game.

SBBlue

9 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

a0e7jjsuotyozwx4o33n.pdf (nfl.com)

The backups to our offensive line did NOT get our QB killed as some predicted.   You know who you are. 

They are both alive and well, last I checked.  PJ wasn't sacked at all and Grier was sacked once for 2 yards.  Neither turned the ball over AT ALL.   No ints and no fumbles were caused because the offensive line failed to do its job.  Was it perfect?  No.  Was it the horror show that some predicted...NO, far from it.  I don't have the pressure numbers, if anyone has them, I'd love to see, but from watching the game, I'd be more worried about their backup offensive line than ours.

This doesn't mean our offensive line is great, but I think its ok to say the offensive line was not trash yesterday.

I think there are a lot of positives coming out of this game.  I think Rhule and Co. will be able to put a fairly good O-line when game one comes about.  

Outside of the penalties, which damn near gave me an aneurism and probably Rhule, the O-line played well against their peers. (2nd and 3rd team) 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 3

1 minute ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I think there are a lot of positives coming out of this game.  I think Rhule and Co. will be able to put a fairly good O-line when game one comes about.  

Outside of the penalties, which damn near gave me an aneurism and probably Rhule, the O-line played well against their peers. (2nd and 3rd team) 

I can't pie. sooo PIE.

Yes, it certainly wasn't disaster that some predicted.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, SBBlue said:

I can't pie. sooo PIE.

Yes, it certainly wasn't disaster that some predicted.

I was very happy after the first half and aggravated after the 2nd half. I then let perspective set in. Most of the 2nd half players, minus a few, are lower tier backups, PS or cuts.

Overall our backups smack the crap out of Indy's backups.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I was very happy after the first half and aggravated after the 2nd half. I then let perspective set in. Most of the 2nd half players, minus a few, are lower tier backups, PS or cuts.

Overall our backups smack the crap out of Indy's backups.

Will Grier needs to be more accurate on 3rd down.  He would have extend his drives, gotten more shots and had more than 33 yards passing.   We did run the ball more on 1st and 2nd down the second half, but you have to make those throws.   Instead  they were mostly uncatchable.  Apparently he'll play with the 2s next week, so I expect we'll be playing catch up in the  2nd half. 

Edited by SBBlue
  • Pie 1

22 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

Will Grier needs to be more accurate on 3rd down.  He would have extend his drives, gotten more shots and had more than 33 yards passing.   We did run the ball more on 1st and 2nd down the second half, but you have to make those throws.   Instead  they were mostly uncatchable.  Apparently he'll play with the 2s next week, so I expect we'll be playing catch up in the  2nd half. 

You may be right.  The only way you are going to be able to tell is to let Grier start the 2nd game with the same lineup that PJ had.  If Grier can't move the ball like PJ did than we know 100% that Grier is not the answer at being the backup or the backup to the backup. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Just now, DaveThePanther2008 said:

You may be right.  The only way you are going to be able to tell is to let Grier start the 2nd game with the same lineup that PJ had.  If Grier can't move the ball like PJ did than we know 100% that Grier is not the answer at being the backup or the backup to the backup. 

I'm fine with that.  Its preseason.  But it just seems every time he takes the field, there's a new excuse.  I hope if he sucks next week, that we cut the cord.

• Pie 5

1 minute ago, SBBlue said:

I'm fine with that.  Its preseason.  But it just seems every time he takes the field, there's a new excuse.  I hope if he sucks next week, that we cut the cord.

IMO PJ isn't the answer either.  As much grief as Grier has been getting.  PJ has some pretty bad throws as well.  The only thing I did like was the velocity he throws with.  A lot of zip but no touch.

Marshall had two plays (I can immediately recall) out there that he missed because there was no touch on the ball.  Darnold drops it in and those are catches instead of PBUs. 

Honestly, if Darnold goes down, I am on the phone to P. Rivers and see if he wants a curtain call.  He recently said he would consider the option. 

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

IMO PJ isn't the answer either.  As much grief as Grier has been getting.  PJ has some pretty bad throws as well.  The only thing I did like was the velocity he throws with.  A lot of zip but no touch.

Marshall had two plays (I can immediately recall) out there that he missed because there was no touch on the ball.  Darnold drops it in and those are catches instead of PBUs. 

Honestly, if Darnold goes down, I am on the phone to P. Rivers and see if he wants a curtain call.  He recently said he would consider the option. 

I respect your opinion, although he clearly answer to the question of backup material at least yesterday for that matter...

History kinda says more likely a pick 6 if Darnold was throwing it, I mean that's what I heard what was happening during practice all week...see what happens when u come for my boy.... 😁

• Pie 1

13 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

PJ has some pretty bad throws as well.  The only thing I did like was the velocity he throws with.  A lot of zip but no touch.

Marshall had two plays (I can immediately recall) out there that he missed because there was no touch on the ball. 

You have to be able to catch zips in the NFL.  Defenders close gaps fast.  Cam zipped the ball too, and you're right it causes incompletions, but reduces the chance they jump the route.  Receivers in the NFL have to learn to catch the zips.

PJ had a rating of 89.6 yesterday.  I can live with that from a backup.
If someone better comes along, I'm with fine upgrading too.   

Between Grier and PJ, its PJ.

Edited by SBBlue
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

33 minutes ago, CPsinceDay1 said:

I respect your opinion, although he clearly answer to the question of backup material at least yesterday for that matter...

History kinda says more likely a pick 6 if Darnold was throwing it, I mean that's what I heard what was happening during practice all week...see what happens when u come for my boy.... 😁

I wouldn't say clearly but he's making a case.   I'd prefer a bit more accuracy and some touch now and than. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

33 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

You have to be able to catch zips in the NFL.  Defenders close gaps fast.  Cam zipped the ball too, and you're right it causes incompletions, but reduces the chance they jump the route.  Receivers in the NFL have to learn to catch the zips.

PJ had a rating of 89.6 yesterday.  I can live with that from a backup.
If someone better comes along, I'm with fine upgrading too.   

Between Grier and PJ, its PJ.

Love the zip pass and receivers have to be able to come down with those shots. However, a well placed ball can be just as effective as trying to throw it though a tiny gap.  PJ puts a little air, not a lot, just a little and drops it in.  Marshall makes those catches.

• Pie 1

Just now, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Love the zip pass and receivers have to be able to come down with those shots. However, a well placed ball can be just as effective as trying to throw it though a tiny gap.  PJ puts a little air, not a lot, just a little and drops it in.  Marshall makes those catches.

Fair enough.  I think he looked better this time.  If something better comes along, I have no attachment to PJ.

• Pie 1

48 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I wouldn't say clearly but he's making a case.   I'd prefer a bit more accuracy and some touch now and than. 

I think the more reps he gets with the receivers, that can be fixed. 

Around the 1 min mark, in his postgame, there's a question about which throw he wish he could've taken back...both to Zylstra, on the deep corner route, he "wished Zylstra would've took it further back, because there was no one behind him, instead of taking it to the sidelines" 

But Zylstra made the smart play for the situation....***this... being able to identity n acknowledge both perspectives....**** Leadership qualities...

No 1 placing blame but figuring out what's what...

Edited by CPsinceDay1
  • Beer 1