• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

We don’t know what we don’t know

Stuart Smith

19 hours ago, Stuart Smith said:

David Tepper paid 2.3 billion dollars for the Panthers in 2018. Make no mistake, he is an alpha male. He did not buy this team and intend for it to be a last pace team. He will not allow what we saw this year to continue without exhausting all the tools he has in his tool box. He made a mistake by firing a respected coach (Ron Rivera) before the season ended which was almost unprecedented. He made another mistake with the length of the Rhule Contract.  He did not want to make those mistake again and get a reputation as someone who had constant coaching turnover; quality coaching prospects need reasonable security.  (IE: Brian Flores) As much as I question Rhule being the right person to coach the Panthers I understand Tepper’s decision to delay pulling the trigger. I keep seeing post from those who feel he needs to hold a press conference, I understand the frustration but I don’t expect him to hold a press conference. The coaching changes that are forthcoming are a statement from him. I expect there to be a coaching hire that could serve as an interim head coach if the Panthers next season does not begin well. While it may not be stated publicly I do not feel Rhule will have the autonomy over personnel decisions he has had. As much as I feel Sam Darnold is not the answer at quarterback he needs not only an offensive line but more consistent help from the coaching staff. Hiring the best position coaches available will be a huge step in the right direction for the offense. It will certainly be an interesting off season for the Panthers. 

First up, Houston passing coordinator as OC....

We're doomed.

19 hours ago, Jared Patterson said:

Still what's the point of a lame duck year for both sides?

Lame duck year implies that he's gone regardless but this is not that. Rhule's getting a genuine shot at turning the ship around next year because Tepper bought in on a two year rebuild and wants to see it out before cutting his losses. Whole reason he gave the dude 7 years is because he thought he would be winning in 3. He's not ready to call it a bust yet.

If it looks like that's not happening I do believe he fires him midseason, but I think what some of ya'll are missing is that Tepper probably hates getting humilated over that deal as much if not more than he hates the team being a laughingstock. At least there are other factors to blame for the team being bad.

• Pie 1