• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Show off your garage.

motocross_cat

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Don't have one right now. We have a barn and a pretty big open air metal carport that I'll enclose when I get around to it... and when materials come back down to earth a little more.

I hear you.  I'm waiting as well to inclose my steel carport.  I'll get yard equipment amd golf cart out of my main shop for more space.  The bike stays lol.  It was expensive but my shop is more important to me than my house.

How big is your steel carport?

1 minute ago, motocross_cat said:

I hear you.  I'm waiting as well to inclose my steel carport.  I'll get yard equipment amd golf cart out of my main shop for more space.  The bike stays lol.  It was expensive but my shop is more important to me than my house.

How big is your steel carport?

I think it was in the 24x25 range when I measured it. We just bought this place in early spring.

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think it was in the 24x25 range when I measured it. We just bought this place in early spring.

Thats plenty big brother.  Concrete is holding me back on mine.  I can insulate and power myself.  My building is 25 x 30 stick and I paid 27k done 7 years ago.  The man was a family friend so I got a deal.  Same thing now would be 50 easy.   Its nuts what construction is.

5 minutes ago, motocross_cat said:

Thats plenty big brother.  Concrete is holding me back on mine.  I can insulate and power myself.  My building is 25 x 30 stick and I paid 27k done 7 years ago.  The man was a family friend so I got a deal.  Same thing now would be 50 easy.   Its nuts what construction is.

Yeah, I can handle the enclosure part but I'd need to hire out the electrical. I'd run it on it's own panel. My main panel is just about maxed out as is. Pretty sure it will be once I get the 220 wired in for the hot tub. I'd like to plumb it for a utility sink too. Pretty sure it'd be plenty doable. The septic is within 30' or so and the master bath to tie into is less than that. That would also require keeping it heated in the winter though instead of just firing up heat when I'm out there. We'll see. That maybe a project for later after the initial enclosing and wiring.

It's right off the front porch

PXL_20220117_021007283.NIGHT.thumb.jpg.15e75378dcd8f13904eaba5786e14b77.jpg

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, I can handle the enclosure part but I'd need to hire out the electrical. I'd run it on it's own panel. My main panel is just about maxed out as is. Pretty sure it will be once I get the 220 wired in for the hot tub. I'd like to plumb it for a utility sink too. Pretty sure it'd be plenty doable. The septic is within 30' or so and the master bath to tie into is less than that. That would also require keeping it heated in the winter though instead of just firing up heat when I'm out there. We'll see. That maybe a project for later after the initial enclosing and wiring.

It's right off the front porch

PXL_20220117_021007283.NIGHT.thumb.jpg.15e75378dcd8f13904eaba5786e14b77.jpg

I had its own meter installed on mine to handle what I wanted but was capped out on what I could spend.  I'd love to add hvac on but money is tight these days.  Wish I had just found a way to bite the bullet honestly and done it.  With yours being so close to the house its a shame your tapped on power.  

Side note I do alot of riding up your way in Taylorsville qt brushy mountain and farther north at brown mountain.  Beautiful country.

4 minutes ago, motocross_cat said:

I had its own meter installed on mine to handle what I wanted but was capped out on what I could spend.  I'd love to add hvac on but money is tight these days.  Wish I had just found a way to bite the bullet honestly and done it.  With yours being so close to the house its a shame your tapped on power.  

Side note I do alot of riding up your way in Taylorsville qt brushy mountain and farther north at brown mountain.  Beautiful country.

I used to be all over Brown Mountain back in my younger days. After living out west so long it just seems boring these days. I hate like hell Tellico got shut down. That was the one spot back east that could hold its own with anywhere out west in terms of trail difficulty.

We'll ultimately buy a cabin in SW Colorado or maybe SE Utah just because it'd probably be a helluva lot cheaper but I'm not sure I'll ever relocate back out there full time with family aging, etc.

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I used to be all over Brown Mountain back in my younger days. After living out west so long it just seems boring these days. I hate like hell Tellico got shut down. That was the one spot back east that could hold its own with anywhere out west in terms of trail difficulty.

We'll ultimately buy a cabin in SW Colorado or maybe SE Utah just because it'd probably be a helluva lot cheaper but I'm not sure I'll ever relocate back out there full time with family aging, etc.

Riding idiaho, Colorado and Utah is my dream.  Especially MOAB.  I love east coast woods but west is another planet.

4 minutes ago, motocross_cat said:

Riding idiaho, Colorado and Utah is my dream.  Especially MOAB.  I love east coast woods but west is another planet.

It really is. Just having miles and miles of trails. Being able to take a Jeep trail for 20 miles and come out in a completely different part of the state that would take you 3-4 hours to get to by highway. There's just nothing like that back east. There could be. There's ton of old logging trails out there that could be made rideable/drivable without a ton of work. But good freaking luck trying to get new trails opened these days. We're fighting like hell just trying to hang onto what we have (and that's true out west too, that part is no different).

12 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It really is. Just having miles and miles of trails. Being able to take a Jeep trail for 20 miles and come out in a completely different part of the state that would take you 3-4 hours to get to by highway. There's just nothing like that back east. There could be. There's ton of old logging trails out there that could be made rideable/drivable without a ton of work. But good freaking luck trying to get new trails opened these days. We're fighting like hell just trying to hang onto what we have (and that's true out west too, that part is no different).

Kentucky and West Virginias trail systems are holding strong for now.  Thats the closest system I can compare.  I rode 120 miles one day and diddnt do a 1/4 of whats there.  How long that lasts idk.  Crazy people are worried about a dirtbike in BFN but the smog is so bad over LA you can't see the city.

12 minutes ago, motocross_cat said:

Kentucky and West Virginias trail systems are holding strong for now.  Thats the closest system I can compare.  I rode 120 miles one day and diddnt do a 1/4 of whats there.  How long that lasts idk.  Crazy people are worried about a dirtbike in BFN but the smog is so bad over LA you can't see the city.

It's just selfishness. I'm a hiker. I'm a trout fisherman. I'm a mountain biker. I'm a Jeeper. There are TONS of trails for hikers. Don't fight the other users for the few trails available to them. There's way more MTB trails available than Jeep trails. Don't fight the other users for the few trails available to them. Hell, even up at Brown Mountain. The dirtbikers and ATV riders get all pissy about the Jeeps on trail 1. Guys, y'all have an entire mountain of trail system available to you. The Jeeps have THIS trail. Deal with it. I was a chapter president of Trout Unlimited and told them to go fug themselves forever over Tellico. There were plans in place to address erosion concerns TU wanted to hear none of it. They wanted it shutdown. Period. Nothing less. fug TU for that. Forever. They shutdown the last legit hardcore public Jeep trail system on the entire east coast.

I used to tell mountain bikers in CO to chill with trying to boot the dirtbikes. I get it, they're annoying when you're hiking or biking. Whatever. There's WAY more trails available for hiking and mountain biking than there is for dirtbiking. If you really don't want to deal with them simply avoid those trails. This is what you have to understand - you're an ally of convenience at the moment. The hikers don't want you there either. You're annoying to them too. You're just less annoying than the dirtbikes. Get the dirtbikes banned and they'll come for your access next.

53 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's just selfishness. I'm a hiker. I'm a trout fisherman. I'm a mountain biker. I'm a Jeeper. There are TONS of trails for hikers. Don't fight the other users for the few trails available to them. There's way more MTB trails available than Jeep trails. Don't fight the other users for the few trails available to them. Hell, even up at Brown Mountain. The dirtbikers and ATV riders get all pissy about the Jeeps on trail 1. Guys, y'all have an entire mountain of trail system available to you. The Jeeps have THIS trail. Deal with it. I was a chapter president of Trout Unlimited and told them to go fug themselves forever over Tellico. There were plans in place to address erosion concerns TU wanted to hear none of it. They wanted it shutdown. Period. Nothing less. fug TU for that. Forever. They shutdown the last legit hardcore public Jeep trail system on the entire east coast.

I used to tell mountain bikers in CO to chill with trying to boot the dirtbikes. I get it, they're annoying when you're hiking or biking. Whatever. There's WAY more trails available for hiking and mountain biking than there is for dirtbiking. If you really don't want to deal with them simply avoid those trails. This is what you have to understand - you're an ally of convenience at the moment. The hikers don't want you there either. You're annoying to them too. You're just less annoying than the dirtbikes. Get the dirtbikes banned and they'll come for your access next.

"They" don't want any of us there.

E mx bikes are coming.  I'm not sure that can even save my niche sport.  As far as brown, anyone on a bike complaining about a jeep anywhere on that mountain is ridiculous considering the trails available and on behalf of motorcycle guys.  fug them.  Good to know there is another outdoorsman on this site.  Cool.