• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PC nerds, GPU question inside

lightsout

So I'm fuging stuck. Like prices are obviously starting to flatten out after they started dropping earlier this year. Most are close-ish to MSRP but high end cards are still just so damn high that it's hard to justify, but this will be my last upgrade in this rig and I'll be on it for the next 5 years unless I can sell it and build out with the new chipsets before then.

As it stands, these are my specs.

CPU: R5 5600x

Mobo: ASUS TUF Gaming x570 plus wifi

RAM: Corsair vengeance 16gb (2x8)

GPU: 5700xt

Case: Meshify C

Originally I had a 3600 as my CPU, upgraded that on Prime Day when the 5600x dropped to $140.

So my GPU has to be under 315mm in length because the meshify is kinda tight, or up to 330mm if I move a case fan down and pop out my shroud cover. Problem doing that is I'm fairly certain it's going to fug up my airflow and I only just got the 5700xt to stop hitting 100°+ junction temps recently (drivers finally stablized and I tweaked my undervolt slightly from where I had it. Dropped 10-15° average jtemp under load at the cost of about 3-8 fps, oh well). So ideally, I could keep the fan where it is.

I'm looking primarily at two GPUs, one from Nvidia and one from AMD. Here's the dilemma. Bear in mind, I play mostly Apex Legends and Escape From Tarkov

Nvidia: ASUS TUF 3080 12gb. Size is great, performance is great apparently, and it's now at $850 on Amazon.

AMD: ASUS TUF 6800xt. Slightly bigger, will be tight but should fit. Currently at $740. 

I don't care much about DLSS and AMD has Smart Access Memory/Resizable Bar for their GPU/CPU combinations, which will give 5-15% performance increases in some titles or no effect in others, rarely will make performances worse.

Any opinions here?

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, OneBadCat said:

If you're only gaming and not using it for creator/editing purposes then you can probably stick with AMD. Have you also considered a 3060ti?

I'm personally holding out for the 4000 series. I'm currently running a 5900x with a 2060 card right now.

3060ti would be a slight performance increase at best from the 5700xt but I did consider a 3070 or 3070ti. 

As it stands, I have a 650w gold rated PSU so I'd have to upgrade that anyway. On the one hand, I want to upgrade....on the other, I don't want to spend $150-$200 on a good quality 850w PSU plus the $650-$700 GPU right now. But then I start wondering how hard it will be to find the 6800xt I want in 6 months to a year. 

Long term, I'm gonna build out on am5 because I like AMD (not sure why, probably because my rig has been good to me and because they're sort of the underdog to Intel/Nvidia) in a few years on 2nd or 3rd gen. So do I want my fps to stay around 144 at 1440p on low-mid settings, or do I want that fps with mid-high settings and how long do I want to wait? That's where I am. 

4 hours ago, Cdw said:

If you don't want to spend the money and go through the trouble of swapping the power supply a 3070 or 3070ti might be the best option, either one would run those games very well I'd think

Yeah I'm bouncing hard between a 3070ti and a 6800xt. SAM/Resizable Bar is the one thing really keeping me from just going with the 3070 and a general unfamiliarity with Nvidia GPUs. I have a tough time with change lol

Sounds like you really want the 6800xt, and in my experience with computer parts I always regret not going with the part I really wanted after the fact.   Also, since the 5600x doesn't draw a lot of power, you may get by with the 650w PSU you have already, but I can't say for sure

6800xt is down to 650 or less on several models over on newegg including the Asus Tuf you were looking at. If ray tracing matters to you then I would go with the 3070ti. For anything else I think you'll get more out of the 6800xt long term. Having double the Vram also helps with the longevity, especially if you game at more than 1080p. If power draw is not a limit for you and you are looking to be as future proof as possible I would recommend checking out the 6900xt if you are still looking at the 3080. 6900xt is in basically the same price range as the 3080 now from 700-750 for many models. I have the same cpu as you but an even older graphics card in a Vega64.I am going to wait and see what kind of price/performance the next generation has before buying anything.

I think AMD is still a cycle or two away from NV as far is GPUs. I like AMD CPUs - but note AMD requires better cooling

another vote here for the 3060 Ti. Value and performance wise it cannot be beat.

Also don’t fug with heat, get that sorted out…100 is a tad high unless you’re pushing limits imo…

corse I play for more than a couple hours. I want to game for longer so my money is spent differently than someone who wants to max everything and play for not as long.

due to these reasons, ultimately I decided to play on my couch.

but the question is always the same…what kind of games are you playing, and for how long?

Edited by onmyown

On 9/13/2022 at 3:31 AM, onmyown said:

I think AMD is still a cycle or two away from NV as far is GPUs. I like AMD CPUs - but note AMD requires better cooling

another vote here for the 3060 Ti. Value and performance wise it cannot be beat.

Also don’t fug with heat, get that sorted out…100 is a tad high unless you’re pushing limits imo…

corse I play for more than a couple hours. I want to game for longer so my money is spent differently than someone who wants to max everything and play for not as long.

due to these reasons, ultimately I decided to play on my couch.

but the question is always the same…what kind of games are you playing, and for how long?

Yeah the cooling is a concern. On low EVERYTHING on Apex I'm still hitting 80-85 C in game (high 90s in the lobby because reasons? I have fps capped in steam at 144). 

This is the story in every game. My buddy has a 5700xt as well but he doesn't break 80 often at all. 

Isn't 3060ti primarily a 1080 card though?

• 1 month later...

Went with the Sapphire Pulse 6800 non-xt and holy hell is it a beast.

Enabling SAM has my CPU (5600x) ticking 80°c occasionally while playing through the mw2 campaign on max settings but GPU temps, after I adjusted the fan curve, stays frosty with a peak hot spot of 72°c.

Probably need an aftermarket CPU cooler but fug, this is incredible lol

Edited by lightsout
  • Pie 3