• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Shaq Thompson shedding some light about Rhule and Wilks.

Ivan The Awesome

1 minute ago, KSpan said:

The media hype was just dumb given his weak track record, and there's a reason other teams like the Jets were connected with reports that they were concerned he would bring in all of his college buddies. Lo and behold, that's exactly what happened and, lo and behold, Rhule was awful. 

The train wreck was very easy to see coming.

The Jets story was a bit different and was from a previous year, and based on Rhule's comments, it does appear Tepper forced him to choose a different OC... which didn't work so well for us at the time. 

But Rhule wasn't just media hype, he was set to interview for multiple teams and his hire by the Panthers forced the Giants to scramble as he was clearly their target. I don't really see this as Tepper thinking he'd "out-thought" the league as much as just spent enough money to keep anyone else from getting involved. 

I don't entirely disagree with the train wreck - college coaches are usually either very successful in the NFL or terrible.  Hopefully he's learned his lesson, but we'll see.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, mav1234 said:

The Jets story was a bit different and was from a previous year, and based on Rhule's comments, it does appear Tepper forced him to choose a different OC... which didn't work so well for us at the time. 

But Rhule wasn't just media hype, he was set to interview for multiple teams and his hire by the Panthers forced the Giants to scramble as he was clearly their target. I don't really see this as Tepper thinking he'd "out-thought" the league as much as just spent enough money to keep anyone else from getting involved. 

I don't entirely disagree with the train wreck - college coaches are usually either very successful in the NFL or terrible.  Hopefully he's learned his lesson, but we'll see.

Rhule was nothing but hype, and even NFL teams get caught up in it sometimes; this cycle was all about finding the next Kingsbury or McVay and questionable guys like Rhule got a boost. Dude had a poor track record against quality college competition and had never stayed anywhere long enough to really show that he had what it took for a long haul. 

Regarding Tepper, he absolutely though he outsmarted the league. Remember how visible he was in 2020 and all the talk about things like the sport science program that all evaporated when they realize the NFL had already been doing that stuff for years? Dude vanished in 2021 when it became clear he'd been snookered.

• Pie 3

46 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Rhule was nothing but hype, and even NFL teams get caught up in it sometimes; this cycle was all about finding the next Kingsbury or McVay and questionable guys like Rhule got a boost. Dude had a poor track record against quality college competition and had never stayed anywhere long enough to really show that he had what it took for a long haul. 

Regarding Tepper, he absolutely though he outsmarted the league. Remember how visible he was in 2020 and all the talk about things like the sport science program that all evaporated when they realize the NFL had already been doing that stuff for years? Dude vanished in 2021 when it became clear he'd been snookered.

My take on it was he was trying to "modernize" the Panthers, because there was a perception among the fanbase the team/way it was put together was "old school", but I can see your side on that as well.

• Beer 1

22 minutes ago, stratocatter said:

It isn’t as if Tepper was some bumpkin billionaire on his first day, he was a (Steelers) minority owner for some period of time and took two seasons as owner of the Panthers to learn and evaluate before he acted. 

And he went and gave Rhule that ludicrous contract. Just silly.