• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2023 Off-Season Thread

3 hours ago, Harbingers said:

Disagree. We need an assist man and a goal scorer. Aho needs a true assist man and we need someone that can cover the first half the season for svech. As don’t forget he’s not going to be back until December at the earliest. 

As well as Max Pacioretty. Say what you will, but he was replaced with Jack Drury and Pool Party.

• Pie 1

18 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

As well as Max Pacioretty. Say what you will, but he was replaced with Jack Drury and Pool Party.

Man I always considered max to be a scratch but I see your point.

Drury is good and should be the anchor of our 4th line. pool id give a chance in TC, but man his play did not equate to the numbers he was putting out the last few season. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Some rumors coming in.

Canes being linked to Kevin Hayes (gross) and Joel Edmunson (I do love steady Eddy).

And the organization and Staal are at an impasse. Staal wants more money and the Canes aren’t budging.

Edmunson should have never left. But I don’t want to trade Pesce for him. Edmunson + Chatty is going to be absurd.

The NHL would be looking at one of the best defense cores in history next season. 

As for the Staal rumor I call BS.

Also again, Nikishin?

Edited by Harbingers

46 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Edmunson should have never left. But I don’t want to trade Pesce for him. Edmunson + Chatty is going to be absurd.

The NHL would be looking at one of the best defense cores in history next season. 

As for the Staal rumor I call BS.

Also again, Nikishin?

Staal rumor was put out by Dredger so it’s 50-50 whether he’s overselling.

As for Nikishin, he can only come over if his KHL contract is terminated by his KHL team or if he buys out the remainder of the contract himself.

The NHL and KHL also have an agreement in place where the NHL club cannot give the KHL player money to buy out his contract. Nikishin would have to buy out the contract himself.

If it ever did get that far we’d then have to worry about Nikishin getting drafted into the Russian armed forces while trying to leave.

Edited by MillionDollarCam

1 minute ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Staal rumor was put out by Dredger so it’s 50-50 whether he’s overselling.

As for Nikishin, he can only come over if his KHL contract is terminated by the team or if he buys out the contract himself. The NHL and KHL also have an agreement in place where the NHL club cannot give the KHL player money to buy out his contract.

Russia is in an actual civil war right now.

8 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Russia is in an actual civil war right now.

I can’t see the NHL getting involved. If they start allowing clubs to just take in all their KHL players that are under contract in Russia it would be a wild situation.

Most of the hockey players in the KHL are draft eligible so if they just abandon their KHL team and up and leave then the NHL would essentially be harboring defectors.

Nikishin also may not want to come over during all of this. I imagine it’s hard to leave your family in a situation like this.

It’s a tough situation all around but Nikishin’s best option is to probably lie low and take care of his family. If he tries to leave right now he could see himself getting drafted (it’s already happened with other players - see Ivan Fedotov of the Flyers).

Nikishin’s KHL contract is up in two years and hopefully by then the climate is better. It’s unfortunate that he extended his contract to begin with.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

I can’t see the NHL getting involved. If they start allowing clubs to just take in all their KHL players that are under contract in Russia it would be a wild situation.

Most of the hockey players in the KHL are draft eligible so if they just abandon their KHL team and up and leave then the NHL would essentially be harboring defectors.

Nikishin also may not want to come over during all of this. I imagine it’s hard to leave your family in a situation like this.

It’s a tough situation all around but Nikishin’s best option is to probably lie low and take care of his family. If he tries to leave right now he could see himself getting drafted (it’s already happened with other players - see Ivan Fedotov of the Flyers).

Nikishin’s KHL contract is up in two years and hopefully by then the climate is better. It’s unfortunate that he extended his contract to begin with.

Eh, who would want to play for Pennie’s on the dollar at this point. 

Supposedly, Staal's people have given the Canes a list of teams he'd accept a trade to. Just one small issue- why would anyone trade for him when he'll become a UFA in about a week?

I can't see the Canes letting Jordo walk out the door. That might be a PR nightmare the Canes will regret and Waddell might not survive.

Edited by Anybodyhome

1 hour ago, Anybodyhome said:

Supposedly, Staal's people have given the Canes a list of teams he'd accept a trade to. Just one small issue- why would anyone trade for him when he'll become a UFA in about a week?

I can't see the Canes letting Jordo walk out the door. That might be a PR nightmare the Canes will regret and Waddell might not survive.

I’m guessing just his rights. It basically guarantees the team acquiring him a few extra days to ink a deal before he hits free agency.

It happens from time to time.

4 hours ago, Anybodyhome said:

Thank you and no poo. He’s a UFA and a player who for all purpose wants to remain here.