• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Kind of Coach I Want...

Proudiddy

Someone like Mike Tomlin. For the record, I think Cowher is of the same ilk. Why? Well for obvious reasons, but I was particularly moved by Tomlin's interview with Deion Sanders tonight on NFLN.

Deion Sanders asked him about his quote after last game about making changes and about the problems they've had in ST and the secondary, and Tomlin replied with something along the lines of:

"What we've been doing hasn't been working. We've set a pattern that's been repeated several times for losing games, so it's not working. If it's not working, then we have to make changes. If it's not working, we can't do the same things with the same people and expect the outcome to be different. So there will be changes..."

That's not word for word, but it was the point. Right when he said that, I immediately thought of John Fox, and how he is the complete opposite.

Yeah, the old cliche is, to win you have to make the other team submit to your will. But, John Fox's version is more along the lines of another old saying "Insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results."

I haven't agreed with what local reporters have wrote lately, but one of them, I can't remember who, wrote in a piece sometime in the last few weeks that Fox at one time was a great coach, but his stubborn demeanor has done him in.

He clearly sees what he's doing is not working, with Jake for example, yet he refuses to change it and expects the rest of the teams in the NFL to "unfigure" it out. Yeah, I made up that word, but it fits Fox.

The next coach in here has to be willing to change, evolve and adjust. All of which Fox has refused to do.

And BTW, Deion said that just sitting there with Tomlin and doing the interview that the guy has such a presence that it made him wanna throw on the pads and run out there... Then he remembered he was 42. That's the kind of guy we need.

We always say we strive to model ourselves after the Steelers... Well, when are we going to start? (and I mean over the long-term, not this year's Steelers)

Haven't been too impressed with Tomlin the last couple of weeks with his quotes I see in the media.

Before Raider week; "We're going to unleash hell."

Before Brown week: "There's going to be some changes around here." Apparently there aren't any.

Quotes approximate.

Lost to the Raiders at home....now losing to the Browns, team playing with no passion.. Their season is over with a loss tonight.

Yeah, but he is without Polamalu, I don't fault him. The guy isn't scared to shake things up, like benching Willie Parker...

so people want coaches who are trash without one player?

I mean, I get it. Meeks struggled without Harris, and he lived and died by whether he had Bob Sanders. The cover 2 needs good safeties.

But I'd hate to think it's "we did/didn't win that playoff game/championship/Super Bowl based on the health of our talented but injury prone safety."

Also, you don't evaluate head coaches based on the yelling at players/statements to media. The supposed best coach in the league, Bill Bellichick, mumbles and says almost nothing to media. They f'ing called him Mumbles when he succeeded Pete Carroll. The idea is the product on the field, not whether he's appropriately whacky after something goes wrong. I expect the things a fan expect after something happens and what's best for a team after something happens are two different things.

I use the phrase "kind of" very loosely after seeing this game... Nah, seriously, he is a great coach.

It's just one of those years and it's not for a lack of trying. Polamalu's absence has been huge. And no, the team shouldn't fall apart just because one player is out, but look what happened to us when we lost Smitty in '04.

And I agree, a coach shouldn't be a showman to the media, rather it's more about what they do in the locker room... Fox still isn't that guy. That's my point.

Archived