• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The case against retreads

Mr. Scot

Super Bowl winning coaches that coached elsewhere:

Vince Lombardi

Hank Stram

Don McCafferty

Tom Flores

Mike Ditka

Bill Parcells

George Seifert

Jimmy Johnson

Mike Holmgren

Dick Vermeil

There has only been ten, just five in the past twenty years. And Ewbank won two titles with two different teams anyway.

Again, I'll say this...

There have been 43 Super Bowls. Of those 43 winning coaches, 12 have won multiple rings. That leaves 31 winning coaches. Of those 31, how many went on to coach another team after they won the trophy? I bet that's a pretty low number. I'm not about to research it though.

You act as if every Super Bowl winning coach has gone on to coach another team, which makes your superstitious stat sound great, but it may not even be the case for 2/3 of the winning coaches.

Nor Am I but in recent history, Dungy retired, Cowher retired, Gruden fired, Billick fired, Vermeil retired, Shanahan fired.

Belichek and Tomlin still hold their respective HC positions.

None of these coaches moved onto new jobs with other teams after winning the big prize.

This belief of not hiring a Super Bowl winning HC is as flawed of a belief and as baseless as it possibly could be.

Super Bowl winning coaches that coached elsewhere:

Vince Lombardi

Hank Stram

Don McCafferty

Tom Flores

Mike Ditka

Bill Parcells

George Seifert

Jimmy Johnson

Mike Holmgren

Dick Vermeil

There has only been ten, just five in the past twenty years. And Ewbank won two titles with two different teams anyway.

That about wraps this thread up. except at least one of those coaches didn't coach elesewhere after winning the Super Bowl.

The thing about Super Bowl winning coaches having never won one with another team is very misleading. First, Weeb Ewbank won an NFL Championship and a Super Bowl with two different teams. No, not two Super Bowls technically, but they were both championships.

That's incredibly relevant to 2009. Thanks.

Well we might as well draft a QB out of Florida too then, since none of those other guys should damn The Golden Calf of Bristol from NFL greatness. I think Leak is available too.

This trend... this kind of thing... it happens for a reason. People may not be able to pin point it to one factor or another, but for whatever reason(s)... coaches have not been successful in winning a SB with two different teams.

If that doesn't make you the least bit cautious about someone like Bill Cowher, then I really don't know what to tell you. The guy was completely ok with Kordell Stewart. KORDELL STEWART! He was terrible, and everyone knew it. Remind you of someone?

Just cause he spits everywhere like a bafoon doesn't make him a good coach. Not that I support John Fox staying here, but if Ben Roethlisberger fell into HIS lap, I can almost guarantee you that we'd already have a Super Bowl victory in our hands.

If there was any retread that I would trust, it would be a guy like Bill Belichick (Even though he's a douche), because he's been massively successful in this salary cap era. Not because he had a bunch of fluky ass things happen one year and plays cocktease with every football team that's looking for a new coach.

Fox has had good quarterbacks fall into his lap in the draft before and has passed them over. Aaron Rodgers and Joe Flacco quickly come to mind.

Besides, little stats like the one Scot threw out in the first post are meaningless. Until Tony Dungy a few years ago, no black head coach had ever won a Super Bowl. Did that mean there was some reason that black coaches had never won one? Not really, there was no causal relationship there just like there isn't between former Super Bowl winning coaches not having won Super Bowls elsewhere.

Well we might as well draft a QB out of Florida too then, since none of those other guys should damn The Golden Calf of Bristol from NFL greatness. I think Leak is available too.

This trend... this kind of thing... it happens for a reason. People may not be able to pin point it to one factor or another, but for whatever reason(s)... coaches have not been successful in winning a SB with two different teams.

If that doesn't make you the least bit cautious about someone like Bill Cowher, then I really don't know what to tell you. The guy was completely ok with Kordell Stewart. KORDELL STEWART! He was terrible, and everyone knew it. Remind you of someone?

Just cause he spits everywhere like a bafoon doesn't make him a good coach. Not that I support John Fox staying here, but if Ben Roethlisberger fell into HIS lap, I can almost guarantee you that we'd already have a Super Bowl victory in our hands.

If there was any retread that I would trust, it would be a guy like Bill Belichick (Even though he's a douche), because he's been massively successful in this salary cap era. Not because he had a bunch of fluky ass things happen one year and plays cocktease with every football team that's looking for a new coach.

So, the fact that we debunked the SB superstition must've gone right over your head, as has Cowher's career highlights. You're basically saying Cowher owes everything to Big Ben. Wow.

Side Note: I remember reading a long time ago that one of Bill Polian's ideas for the Panthers first head coach was Rich Kotite, based on the belief that he'd be more successful in a new place than he'd been in Philly. Thankfully, the Jets got him instead of us.

Bill Polian is regardless the best GM or should I say now recently-retired-GM in the league

You're basically saying Cowher owes everything to Big Ben. Wow.

No, I'm saying he owe's his championship to him. Outside of that, I don't see how Cowher is much of an improvement over Fox. Marginal at best.

And no, I'm not for keeping Fox. If we get Cowher and it works out I'll be happy. But I really think that if we do, it won't be long before you same people are crying about how we should have hired somebody else.. and how the organization is just going backwards and wasting time ala hiring George Seifert.

I'm not that overwhelmed by the retreads or the young ones honestly. No more by Zimmer's one solid year than by Shanahan's last decade of mediocrity.

Zimmer had a lot of good years running the Cowboys defense.

Again, I'll say this...

There have been 43 Super Bowls. Of those 43 winning coaches, 12 have won multiple rings. That leaves 31 winning coaches. Of those 31, how many went on to coach another team after they won the trophy? I bet that's a pretty low number. I'm not about to research it though.

You act as if every Super Bowl winning coach has gone on to coach another team, which makes your superstitious stat sound great, but it may not even be the case for 2/3 of the winning coaches.

EDIT: I just realized my math is wrong. Of the 12 multiple SB winning coaches, they've won 29 rings. That leaves us with 14 rings won by one-timers, which makes the grand total 26 coaches who've won a SB, not 31.

I mean, just off the top of my head...

Tomlin - still coaching same team

Coughlin - still coaching same team

Dungy - retired

Cowher - retired

Belichick - still coaching same team

Gruden - retired

Billick - retired

That's as far back as my brain can think.

You just named four examples of the kind of retread I'd favor.

Coughlin, Dungy, Belichick and Gruden all won the Super Bowl on their second chance after contending, but not quite making it, in their first.

As to retreads from the current era, we have Jimmy Johnson, Mike Holmgren, Bill Parcells and Joe Gibbs (same team). All great coaches, some even legandary, but just couldn't bring home that trophy again. Heck, if you go back further, even Chuck Noll couldn't repeat with a new team.

People talk like getting a coach with a ring is an automatic ticket to the Lombardi trophy. History shows it's just the opposite, and that includes our own history (Seifert).

Archived