• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young is not ready to be a starting QB in the NFL

FutureDynasty

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Nah, I don't see that as a failing. Maybe just a nervous moment at worst.

Part of the reason I'm not worried about Bryce is I've seen probably hundreds of new quarterbacks in my time watching football.  Most of them start off looking like sh-t, even the ones that turn out to be great later on.

Peyton Manning tends to be a prime example (his rookie year was pretty bad) but a better comparison in our case might be Drew Brees. He didn't exactly set the world on fire in San Diego, hence why the Chargers decided to move on with Philip Rivers.

When all was said and done of course, Brees and the Saints had a Super Bowl win while Rivers and the Chargers didn't. Rivers was certainly a good QB. Brees was just more successful.

You might not have predicted it early on though...

But BY isn’t Peyton Manning or Drew Brees any more than he’s Jamarcus Russell, Jimmy Clausen or Ryan Leaf.  It takes time to recognize a bust in the same way it takes time to recognize a great.  What I’m talking about is the now, and it’s not good….at all.

Edited by Newtcase
  • Pie 1

Just now, Newtcase said:

But BY isn’t Peyton Manning or Drew Brees any more than he’s Jamarcus Russell, Jimmy Clausen or Ryan Leaf.  It’s takes time to recognize a bust in the same way it takes time to recognize a great.  What I’m talking about is the now, and it’s not good….at all.

That's where I disagree. I definitely saw things I liked in Young's game, and improvement over last week (all chronicled elsewhere).

Could he turn out to be a bust? Sure he could. He could also turn out to be great.

It's just way too soon to know.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

That's where I disagree. I definitely saw things I liked in Young's game, and improvement over last week (all chronicled elsewhere).

Could he turn out to be a bust? Sure he could. He could also turn out to be great.

It's just way too soon to know.

I agree with too soon to know.  2023 and 2024 are burnt no matter how you slice it, so we’ll definitely find out.  I just haven’t seen anything promising, nothing….subject to change.

Also, leading a TD against a Saints defense playing chess while you play checkers isn’t the kind of progress I want to see from #1 overall.

Edited by Newtcase

1 minute ago, Newtcase said:

I agree with too soon to know.  2023 and 2024 are burnt no matter how you slice it, so we’ll definitely find out.  I just haven’t seen anything promising, nothing….subject to change.

Realistically, 2023 was always going to be a throwaway season. I'm not sold on the idea that next year will be though.

As far as promising, not throwing three interceptions is a good start 😄

Better though would be that we faced a superior defense yet scored more points than last week, even with a starting guard out.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Realistically, 2023 was always going to be a throwaway season. I'm not sold on the idea that next year will be though.

As far as promising, not throwing three interceptions is a good start 😄

Better though would be that we faced a superior defense yet scored more points than last week, even with a starting guard out.

That’s a red herring.  We didn’t score “meaningful” points and you know it.

Also, BY threw at least two that should have been picked.

Edited by Newtcase

Just now, Newtcase said:

That’s a red herring.  We didn’t score “meaningful” points and you know it.

Yes we did. We had three scoring drives before the final one. Those field goals count too.

As to the final TD, the Saints may have been going prevent, but once we got close they realized they'd screwed up and quickly adjusted. Even with that though, we still scored on a very good play by Young.

That was, as mentioned, the first touchdown that the Saints defense had given up this year. They held the Titans to field goals only.

More to the point though, Young actually looked like he knew what he was doing that drive. In week one, he didn't look good running the up tempo attack at all.

Hence, improvement.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yes we did. We had three scoring drives before the final one. Those field goals count too.

As to the final TD, the Saints may have been going prevent, but once we got close they realized they'd screwed up and quickly adjusted. Even with that though, we still scored on a very good play by Young.

That was, as mentioned, the first touchdown that the Saints defense had given up this year. They held the Titans to field goals only.

More to the point though, Young actually looked like he knew what he was doing that drive. In week one, he didn't look good running the up tempo attack at all.

Hence, improvement.

Sir, I salute you.  I remain hopeful you are correct in your assessment.  I sincerely wish you the best with fam tomorrow.

1 minute ago, Newtcase said:

Sir, I salute you.  I remain hopeful you are correct in your assessment.  I sincerely wish you the best with fam tomorrow.

Appreciated, though I'd probably say I don't really have a full "assessment" yet. It is still just two games. As much as anything, I just disagree with the emotional "everything sucks" overreactions I'm seeing.

In truth, not everything sucks. There were actually good things to be seen in the games played so far.

And that at least is encouraging.

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Appreciated, though I'd probably say I don't really have a full "assessment" yet. It is still just two games. As much as anything, I just disagree with the emotional "everything sucks" overreactions I'm seeing.

In truth, not everything sucks. There were actually good things to be seen in the games played so far.

And that at least is encouraging.

I don’t consider my reaction emotional.  BY arm looks suspect.  His “processing” is way behind what we were sold.  In no way has he looked the part of a difference maker.  The standard to compete is Pat Mahommes, Josh Allen, Joe Burrow, Jalen, Dak, Tua….

All I want to see is either the physical tools OR the mental tools to overcome the lack of physical tools.  Haven’t seen anything resembling either through two games at literally a third worst in HISTORY comically bad result, and that’s with the garbage time yardage.

Edited by Newtcase
  • Pie 1

Just now, Newtcase said:

I don’t consider my reaction emotional.  BY arm looks suspect.  His “processing” is way behind what we were sold.  In no way has he looked the part of a difference maker.  The standard to compete is Pat Mahommes, Josh Allen, Joe Burrow, Jalen, Dak, Tua….

All I want to see is either the physical tools OR the mental tools to overcome the lack of physical tools.  Haven’t seen anything resembling either through two games at a literally a third worst in HISTORY comically bad result, and that’s with the garbage time yardage.

Not talking about your reaction when I say that...

Some of the others on here though 🙄

• 1 month later...