• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

College Football Week 9 or also known as 'As the Harbrough Turns'

jayboogieman

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Refs should not be hired by the conferences. There's just way too many financial incentives to get a team into the playoffs. There's just way too many extremely questionable flags benefitting playoff contenders in-conference every single year. Maybe going to 12 teams will help clean up some of that incentive.

But honestly, a lot of times it does feel like straight up game rigging for the teams with playoff aspirations.

I don't think going to 12 teams will help as far as the refs go. I think it'll just make things worse. That said, having a larger playoff field could make things more fun.

1 minute ago, jayboogieman said:

I don't think going to 12 teams will help as far as the refs go. I think it'll just make things worse. That said, having a larger playoff field could make things more fun.

It's definitely possible. I mean, instead of conferences having one or two potential playoff caliber teams they might have 3 or 4.

I just think the 4 team field puts more pressure. I mean, if FSU loses to Wake the ACC is essentially out of the playoff race barely halfway through the season. In a 12 team field, the ACC would still have both FSU and UNC alive even with both having bad losses (in the event FSU loses to Wake). The ACC ain't gonna let FSU lose to Wake without throwing everything they have to avoid it.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's definitely possible. I mean, instead of conferences having one or two potential playoff caliber teams they might have 3 or 4.

I just think the 4 team field puts more pressure. I mean, if FSU loses to Wake the ACC is essentially out of the playoff race barely halfway through the season. In a 12 team field, the ACC would still have both FSU and UNC alive even with both having bad losses (in the event FSU loses to Wake). The ACC ain't gonna let FSU lose to Wake without throwing everything they have to avoid it.

Fair enough. I guess FSU is this year's Clemson team.

• Pie 1

Wow. 62% of starts from FSU this year have been transfers. This is the new reality of college football. HS recruiting is now an afterthought. Your primary recruiting pool is the transfer portal.

Most of those HS recruits are a year or two, maybe even three away from being significant contributors. Those portal kids are good to go tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Wow. 62% of starts from FSU this year have been transfers. This is the new reality of college football. HS recruiting is now an afterthought. Your primary recruiting pool is the transfer portal.

Most of those HS recruits are a year or two, maybe even three away from being significant contributors. Those portal kids are good to go tomorrow.

FSU bought a team and yeah, it'll be what happens until the rules governing the portal and NIL change.

I think the top HS recruits will still be highly sought after, especially QBs. But I don't think most HS players will get the offers they had been getting in the past since teams will put that money into the transfers.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, jayboogieman said:

FSU bought a team and yeah, it'll be what happens until the rules governing the portal and NIL change.

I think the top HS recruits will still be highly sought after, especially QBs. But I don't think most HS players will get the offers they had been getting in the past since teams will put that money into the transfers.

Oh for sure. HS recruiting is still going to be vital but the portal is definitely the quick fix. The small school kids that blow up aren't gonna hang around. They're gonna go to a P5 school. But then again, the small schools are gonna benefit from the good players caught up in a logjam st a major program so it kinda goes both ways.

And yeah, the NCAA is gonna have to find a way to strike a balance on the NIL stuff. It's just the straight up wild, wild west right now.

One step I'd make is reinstituting the one year sit out rule for transfers. Balance that by forcing the schools to commit to a four year scholarship for the kids as long as they maintain academic eligibility, which is how it always should've been anyway.

• Pie 1