• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Texans we have your new DC

Snake

How long is it gonna take Panther fans to figure out that this is John Fox's defense? Do you really think that Trgovac is some wild eyed crazy man who just pulls schemes out of his ass and runs them whether Fox wants him to or not?

Well by that logic we should get rid of him because he isn't doing a damn thing then, if he isn't even doing anything why keep him?

And since it's so obvious to you that Fox is responsible for our terrible defense this season, are you the same type of person that tells everyone

"zomg stopzor teh talking about john da fox iz a good coach 12-4 suck it"?

Obviously he isn't such a good defensive coach anymore now is he?

All the more reason to fire our defensive coordinator, and hire one that WILL coach the defensive INSTEAD of Fox.

That kinda crap talk you just posted is exactly why people are suspect of Fox no matter what the record is, you just defended someone who's defense sucks right now.

Not to mention the foot off the gas style of offense when we get a lead. He takes away responsibilities of people who are hired to do a job, but ultimately are restrained from their duties and handcuffed.

I love our players and I think we do good in the personnel department, but it is terribly obvious to anyone with half a brain that the weak link of this football team is the coaching staff.

John Fox and Mike Trgovac are good coaches and we have a good defense. The problem is that they have been facing some of the best offenses in the league in the last 5 weeks or so, and they had to face the last two with back up D-linemen.

Basically, the difference between me and most people on this board, is that I understand that our opponents have some pretty damn good players and coaches too, and that it's extremely hard to win in the NFL. This is not chess, where if you make the right moves, it works 100% of the time, this is a game involving human beings who make human mistakes, and are facing other human beings that don't always do exactly what you expect them to do.

BTW, we are two wins away from the Super Bowl, in case some of you haven't noticed.

the weakest link is the dline. how is that not obvious the last 2 games. i mean come on. give eli, or breese time and they kill you. add in the giants running game and without kemo they ran very well (even worse when we went to 3 DEs due to injuries). look at the 2 top 4-3 defenses in the playoffs, both have a very good DL, do we have close to that? if you think so, yor blind. kemo = one trick pony. he eats blocks and allows beason and the lbs to roam, without him the old gets to the second level. the giants get pressure out of there starters who also an stuf the run, without near the LB tallent. vikes same story. the eagles use a much better secondary and press coverage to cover for a average dl and lb unit (they have great CBs, and dawkins). turdo could learn from that. that said, dawkins makes that possible. plus they have had great play outa their top 3 cbs. godfrey and harris <<<< dawkins. atl really isnt that good on d, they struggle more than us. cards struggle in general. colts are weak up front same ball park as us.

3-4 you need those block eaters and a good LB corp (cowboys out but when romo isnt fugn up, pitt, sd with merriman, balt). not advocating a 3-4 switch at all, but we dont have a DL that plays to the level needed to have a top line D in a 4-3. even when it it was buckner and carstens with rucker and pep, they still got pressure, still clogged lanes. this group hasnt (with kemo out they do neither). when they do, the rest of the unit looks great (minus godfrey post bye, who got pulled in the goal line situations after blowing coverage that allowed a td to the giants).

the D coaching thats suspect is the 5-10 yard cushion all day. its the bend dont break stuff that works at times, but can get hosed when a qb turns it on. it puts the pressure on the dl to disrupt timing, as otherwise the wr run free and its simple pitch catch. i dont like we dont bump and run at times, yet idk if i trust godfrey atm to not blow it if someone gets beat. so far in the 2nd half of the year he hasnt, hell he misses zone coverages anyway, i dont know if i want my safety valve being a guy that has been outa position in zone.

the key to the playoffs: DL play plane and simple. if they can eat blocks and open diggs, beason and davis up we can stop the run. if they can hurry the qb, the seconday will make enough plays to win. if the qb has lanes to throw and no pressure, the zone will get eatn again. if the dl cant keep the OL off the lbs they will run right over us. if we throw in some press at times just a curveballs we'll do fine (i hope that comes out in the playoffs, not sure). overall the D has been the weaker than ever, which coensides with the worst our DL has played. i think thats not a coincidence at all. and idk if we have the personel to play the eagles style. if its so easy whey are they the only ones to really do it? some will say the giants do to, but they have a much better DL. watch the SB again, and they needed to send 1 and it was over (and at times no one at all). that line was nasty, they arnt that great this year, but they are still very very good. we need our guys to raise their level of play up front to get there and win it.

Turgo-- IS that YOU??? :ihih:

Turgo HAS ALWAYS rode the talent of the players. Win or Lose he will be gone after the season if he doesnt tighten up this defense.

Yeah, Nick Hayden and Darwin Walker are simply awsome. How could anybody fail to stop the Giants running game for 5 quarters with those two in the line up?

And what about all the passes our opponents have been completing on Marshall...are those happening because of the scheme or mistakes by the player?

Also, I've seen Lucas get burned when he was playing bump and run, playing off, in a zone, and in man to man... so what's the solution?

John Fox and Mike Trgovac are good coaches and we have a good defense. The problem is that they have been facing some of the best offenses in the league in the last 5 weeks or so, and they had to face the last two with back up D-linemen.

BTW, we are two wins away from the Super Bowl, in case some of you haven't noticed.

Oh ok, so a good defense only plays good vs bad offenses?

Our defense is not good right now, and what you say is even worse, because these playoff teams are not going to have some of the worst offenses in the league.

Please stop with that, all teams are good here on in. So if we only play well vs bad teams, well guess what?

No one has forgotten we are two games away from the Super Bowl, just some of us realize that's as close as were going to get with our current defense playing like it has been.

So the difference between you and some posters here isn't exactly what you say, the difference is some of us see that being two games away from the Super Bowl is different from actually getting to the Super Bowl.

The playoffs are totally on our d's shoulder, if they play well we go far. If they don't we could very well be one and done.

I hope we see the defense play like we know they can.

The playoffs are totally on our d's shoulder, if they play well we go far. If they don't we could very well be one and done.

Your living in the past brother.

The Panthers have the BEST running game over the last 8 games, one of the best receivers in Smith and a QB with playoff experience and over the last 4 games, I would venture to guess the offense has scored as many, if not more, points than any other team. Given all of that, can you really say the playoffs are totally on the "d's" shoulders.

I believe your dislike/prejudice of Trgo is clouding your judgement.

Now we know Trgovac reads the Huddle! His screen name is jpo287!

I wish I was. I would proudly announce my presence to all you imbeciles!

Look at any metric and you will see that the D under Fox/Trgo has consistently been in the top ten over his tenure. And while all you guys cry about all the talent on the D, the last time I looked, it wasn't exactly filled with first round / Pro Bowl guys. Sure you have Peppers, Beaston and Gamble, but I would hardly call anyone else a standout.

Lucus seems to have lost a step, Harris, while a great hitter, isn't much in coverage, Godfrey is a rookie and it definitely shows at times, Marshall has regressed, Diggs is at the end of his career, Davis has the speed but has never been known for his coverage abilities, Peppers is, well, Peppers but I would hardly put Johnson, Kemo, Lewis or Breyton anywhere near his talent level.

The Panthers problems on defense are more from injuries/attrition than anything else. They just didn't start the season with a ton of talent. Heck, I remember everyone on this board crying about the D-line at the beginning of the season and how they were worried it would suck. Well it seems to me it has surpassed everyone's expectations. I would attribute that to your favorite coach: Trgo.

Yes, the defense has suffered as of late but when you start the season weak, any injury really magnifies the lack of talent depth-wise.

So cry and bitch all you want. I personally think this is one of Trgo's better season given how little talent he had to start with.

Hopefully they can heal up over the bye. If so, I fully expect them to be back to form. Of course, even if they play great, I am sure you guys will still find something to whine about. It's just your nature.

Happy New Year!

Archived