• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Peppers calls Panthers' silence a "turn off," but remains open about his future

jbland

Panthers defensive end Julius Peppers remained noncommittal about his future plans Tuesday, and said the team’s lack of communication with him and his agent “is kind of a turnoff.”

“Because of the lack of communication they’ve had with us, if someone were to ask me do I want to stay in Carolina and play for the Panthers next year, it’s like, ok, how can you say you want to be somewhere when you’re not really sure if they want you here because they’re not even talking to you,” Peppers said in an interview with Charlotte radio station WFNZ 610-AM, aired Tuesday morning.

http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/

I think hell be back next season and he does want to be here.

he specifically talked about the defense and said last year he didn't think they were headed in a positive direction, which was one reason he wanted to leave. Now he likes where they are headed. and likes Meeks' decision. Now if he wants to stay, I say keep him here. I hope they get this ball moving

He's calling it a turn off? Kind of what he did last year was a turn off... Seriously, that says more about him than anything and good riddance as far as I'm concerned. But Like what I think matters...

the fact that they haven't talked to him should be a turn off. I don't blame him

Mike Smith of ProFootballTalk.com decide to take out what he wanted out of the article:

Carolina Panthers defensive end Julius Peppers sounded in an interview with WFNZ radio like a man who's ready to move on, saying that the team hasn't talked to him about a contract extension and that he takes that as a sign that they don't want him to stay.

"They're not even talking to me, so why would I come out and say I want to be here, when the team is not even acknowledging the fact that my future with the organization is up in the air?" Peppers said, per Darin Gantt of the Rock Hill Herald.

Peppers was asked whether he wants a long-term deal with the team, and he said that's what he used to want -- but not anymore.

"I'm not going to say that, come out and say that," Peppers said. "Last year, at the time, that was the option that I wanted most. But now it's not."

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported 10 days ago that the Panthers have not spoken to Peppers about a contract extension and do not plan to keep him, so it seems clear that Peppers is moving on.

The question now is whether Peppers, who made more than $18 million in 2009, can find a team willing to give him a raise in 2010.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/09/peppers-ready-to-move-on-from-panthers/

I'm 50/50 on if I, and I stress the word I, want Peppers back next season but this guy has got to get a better agent.

For several years the Panther tried to get him to sign long term and he refused. I'm sure the Panthers FO was trying to plan their moves around him. Last offseason, he was their number one focus but in the end, when he didn't sign, even his tender, plans changed.

Look at this offseason compared to last year. The number of players they have to make desiccions about is really long. UFA/RFA include: Brayton, Lenorad, Tyler, Thomas, Davis, Marshall, Vincent, King, Rosario, Moore, McCown and Moose. Then there some players that could be cut because of their contracts: Kemo, Lewis and Delhomme being the biggest three. Not to mention guys that need to be extended like Beason and Williams.

Sorry Peppers but this offseason you are just not priority number one. And I can see and understand why he isn't. I would much rather the Panthers focus on what they are going to be doing with Moore and Delhomme then worring about Peppers at this point.

I just listened to the whole interview, Mac put the "turn off" words in Julius's mouth... he agreed to some extent, but those were Mac's words.

He did make it clear that he's offended by the silent treatment he's been getting. He also said he's pretty sure the Panthers intended to trade him last year when they tagged him, which might explain why he waited till the last minute to sign the tender (he didn't want to be traded to a team of the Panthers choosing).

Does it honestly surprise anyone that he would prefer not to sign long-term at this point? He said himself that all of the options for him are good, he's faced with either making 20 mill for one season, or being the biggest FA to hit the market in an uncapped year. Either way, Julius will make $$$$ this year. I have no problem with him making this kind of business decision, I would do the same and I would hope the Panthers do what is in their best interest... it's not personal, it's business.

If you take Peppers at his word, I'm not sure why someone from the Panthers organization couldn't take the time to pick up the phone and call Julius. I don't see how the Panthers have anything to gain with this silent treatment, but they are in danger of losing a guy they've said all along they want to keep. If I was Hurney, I'd call Peppers up and apologize for the silence, then level with him about why he hasn't heard from us. I suspect it's CBA related, so why can't you just tell the guy that?

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/forum/30225-julius-peppers-will-be-on-wfnzs-mac-attack-tomorrow-to-talk-about-his-status-w-team-6.html

Got some transcriptions on that page of the whole interview...

Pep will be back, in some form or another, when all is said and done... That's been my stance for over 2 years now, and it hasn't changed after this interview...

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/forum/30225-julius-peppers-will-be-on-wfnzs-mac-attack-tomorrow-to-talk-about-his-status-w-team-6.html

Got some transcriptions on that page of the whole interview...

Pep will be back, in some form or another, when all is said and done... That's been my stance for over 2 years now, and it hasn't changed after this interview...

SLJ, I know you are a huge supporter of Peppers and at some level know him personally; so what do you think of his agent? Do you think Carey has given some bad advise or made some errors in how he has guided this?

Just wondering...

Let me clarify... I don't claim to know Pep on a personal level... I just think I know what makes him tick from a psychological standpoint...

That said, Carey IS Pep's biggest downfall...

He is a glorified friend, and nothing more...

I have to respect Pep on that front though, because he is loyal, but Pep could have done so much more for himself with a real agent...

It's a plus for the Panthers in the long run though, because we've made out pretty well aside from last year and this pending offseason (which could work out great for us, to be honest)...

Overall, I think Pep's a great guy, an elite talent, and someone whom the Panthers and fans have underappreciated at times... We should be glad he doesn't have the personality of a TO or someone like that, because he could have made all kinds of troubles... But when the opportunity arises, haters are gonna hate... I think that is what is happening for the most part among the "fans" calling Pep out...

The NFL is a business, and I am pretty sure it's best for the Panthers and Peppers' business to remain together...

the fact that they haven't talked to him should be a turn off. I don't blame him

They are doing what he did last year and he has a problem with it? They didn't complain about what he did, but he wants to say something publicity about them? what a douche.

Archived