• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I can't believe this came from Pat Yasinskas!

mountainpantherfan

Maybe the other players should worry about upping their game to steve's level before being concerned with how he is treated.

Exactly.

well, Smitty got a lot of slack before he reached superstar status imo. Pretty sure he had already punched out a teammate and was kicking defenders in the head before he deserved too much slack.

Just shows how badass he is. Those Chuck Norris jokes apply to Steve a lot better than Chuck.

If the practice squad kid or Ken Lucas had sucker punched Smitty, they'd be off the team. And possibly in jail.

Nobody messes with Smitty!

Good article though. I found it fairly insightful.

Pep is the most misunderstood player on the team. Because he's quiet, because he doesn't hang out and do stupid crap with the other players (like strip clubs, etc), because he doesn't bitch about anything, people think he doesn't care. During spring strength and conditioning, when players have to run from sideline to sideline like six times, Pep is always almost a full lap ahead of everybody else.

Every time Steve Smith doesn't get a touchdown for a couple of games, he bitches to anyone and everyone who will listen. And yet Pep has felt misused on Fox's defense for four or five years now, and you never heard a peep. He tried to leave, the Panthers wouldn't let him. I don't understand the hatred for him and the love for Smitty.

Pep is the most misunderstood player on the team. Because he's quiet, because he doesn't hang out and do stupid crap with the other players (like strip clubs, etc), because he doesn't bitch about anything, people think he doesn't care. During spring strength and conditioning, when players have to run from sideline to sideline like six times, Pep is always almost a full lap ahead of everybody else.

Every time Steve Smith doesn't get a touchdown for a couple of games, he bitches to anyone and everyone who will listen. And yet Pep has felt misused on Fox's defense for four or five years now, and you never heard a peep. He tried to leave, the Panthers wouldn't let him. I don't understand the hatred for him and the love for Smitty.

You have a good point cuz since both of them are on opposite sides of the ball and in persona it's like he can't win even if he busts his ass and does JULIUS. Good argument.

Rep!

I appreciate the fact that Pep just wants to be left alone to do his job the best way that he knows how---even though he may not have been working in a situation that was best fit for him, and in a situation where he could best utilize his talents. He is basically just a "go along to get along type of guy" who doesn't believe in wearing his heart on his sleeve like people think that he should. He probably loves football, and loves making an impact in football, but at the same time he realizes that life is bigger than football. And, yes---emotions aside---there is a great argument that Pep has been the greatest Panther in history (so far), and the greatest Panther to have been misused/abused by not letting him play to his strengths or getting him the help that he needs on the other side of the field [sound familiar?] that allows him and the team to fully bloom like they had the opportunity to do.

On an off note: I had a sociology class in school, and my professor said that it's not uncommon for superstars in any field and/or endeavor to be given more leeway. To me it's kind of ironic/surreal for many players to resent "special treatment" for other players, because---in a sense---many if not most of these guys have been given special treatment since their days of playing ball in high school or college. They have a sense of entitlement---like Tiger. So to me it's kind of like the pot calling the kettle black.

Because Smitty has proven game in and game out that he wants to play. He plays every game as if it is the last game of his career. with Julius Peppers being the physical specimen that he is, there is no reason he shouldn't be in the top 5 in sacks every single year. And to have a full season with 2.5 sacks, is just ridiculous. Sure, leadership may have been thrust on his shoulders when he didn't want it, but at the very least he should have led by example. And he doesn't always do that. Smitty wants his numbers, because when he gets them the team usually wins. And because a guy as talented as him deserves a reward for trying so hard every play.

Sometimes life isn't fair; in this case, being vocal is the reason why Smith is accepted and Peppers is shunned. It's nice to know what they are thinking from time to time.

I don't mind that he is quiet, but I'm not sure why people seem to think Smith being vocal is a bad thing.

Because Smitty has proven game in and game out that he wants to play. He plays every game as if it is the last game of his career. with Julius Peppers being the physical specimen that he is, there is no reason he shouldn't be in the top 5 in sacks every single year. And to have a full season with 2.5 sacks, is just ridiculous. Sure, leadership may have been thrust on his shoulders when he didn't want it, but at the very least he should have led by example. And he doesn't always do that. Smitty wants his numbers, because when he gets them the team usually wins. And because a guy as talented as him deserves a reward for trying so hard every play.

If you go back and look at Smitty's career game by game, you'll find this is a fallacy. When he's not being thrown to, he basically comes off the field and pouts or yells at someone. He's had several games with one or two catches. Look it up.

Archived