• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tampering?

Guess what... Peppers is coming back once he officially tests the market...

Ugh, could you imagine how much he'd sandbag it with a new contract and nobody to impress for next year. He'd look like a stack of googley eyed Geico money sitting out there

Indications are Peppers interested in Bears

But free agent defensive end’s asking price might be too steep

By Vaughn McClure, Tribune reporter 8:00 p.m. CST, March 2, 2010

As the Bears move closer to free agency, the player believed to be their top target apparently has a strong mutual interest he expressed as early as last year.

When defensive end Julius Peppers wanted out of Carolina after the 2008 season, the fourth ``mystery'' team on his wish list was the Bears, a league source familiar with the five-time Pro Bowl selection's trade demands told the Tribune. The others teams were identified as the Cowboys, Eagles and Patriots.

Three of those teams — the Bears, Patriots and Eagles — are expected to make a serious run at Peppers when the unrestricted free agent hits the market at 11:01 p.m. Thursday. The free-spending Redskins also figure to make a play, which could take the price tag out of the Bears' range. Peppers could command up to $15 million per year.

Peppers desire to play in Chicago still exists a year later, according to the source. He developed a great respect for Bears coach Lovie Smith and the tradition of the organization simply based on conversations with ex-Bears Muhsin Muhammad and Dante Wesley, Panthers teammates last season.

Although there has been talk of Peppers wanting to join a contender, he appears willing to join a franchise at least making the effort to improve. The Bears added offensive coordinator Mike Martz with hopes of seeing Jay Cutler and the offense thrive. Plus Peppers would have the chance to work with defensive line guru Rod Marinelli, now the defensive coordinator.

The Bears need to improve their pass rush immensely after managing just 35 sacks last season, 24 coming from the defensive line. The 30-year-old Peppers has 81 career sacks in eight seasons, good enough numbers to make the NFL's All-Decade team.

[email protected]

:eek:

So wait, I'm confused... does he want to join a contender or does he want to join the Bears?

So wait, I'm confused... does he want to join a contender or does he want to join the Bears?
You'll be singing a different tune when we destroy your sally asses next season...REVENGE !:D no seriously, I don't think he cares about winning it's all about the benjamins with him at this point.

However, there is nothing that says a member of the Bears cannot have a conversation with an agent. You'd have to prove what that conversation was about and that would be hard to do.

Second. Peppers is not going back to the Panthers and the Panthers are no longer pursuing him That is common knowledge. So no conversation between the Bears and Peppers agent could interfere with an opportunity for the Panthers to negotiate with their player, because the whole world knows there are no negotiations to be had.

That wasn't the case with Briggs.

So, even if the League did decide to look into it, which they may have to now with all the press this is getting, the Bears probably aren't going to get fined anything.

Guess what... Peppers is coming back once he officially tests the market...

Rat in a drain ditch, caught on a limb, you know better but I know him.

Like I told you, what I said, Steal your face right off your head.

Now he's gone, now he's gone, Lord he's gone, he's gone.

Like a steam locomotive, rollin' down the track

He's gone, gone, nothin's gonna bring him back...He's gone.

Nine mile skid on a ten mile ride, hot as a pistol but cool inside.

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,

Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Now he's gone, now he's gone Lord he's gone, he's gone.

Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,

Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Lost one round but the price wasn't anything,

A knife in the back and more of the same.

Same old, rat in a drain ditch, caught on a limb,

I know better but you know him.

Like I told you, what I said,

Steal your face right off your head.

Now he's gone, now he's gone Lord he's gone, he's gone.

Ooh, nothin's gonna bring him back.

Archived