• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

my manifesto to jake haters

RiP_Fred Lane

I'm sick and tired of all you guys bashing Jake and acting like he was the worst qb to ever put on a Jock strap. The fact of the matter is he has done more for this team than almost any player in the history of the franchise. Now I am perfectly aware he has been awful the past year and 1 playoff game, but should that completely tarnish his legacy in the Carolina's. The man poured his heart and sum into the panthers and even bounced back from a injury that know other qb has came back from to lead us to the playoffs. All you fairweather fans that jumped on the bandwagon in 03 have Jake to thank for u even being here. So please show the Guy a little respect and act like u know something about the franchise. Thank you

Sure, Jake did suck this past year along with the AZ playoff game & perhaps the 2nd half of the '08 season. But seriously? Do you not realize we never would have made it to the SB w/o him? Same story with the big come back to 7-9 in '04, the NFC Championship season in '05? We went to 8-8 in '06 b/c we were overly confident & all of the free agents we signed were busts but Jake achieved 7 TDs & just 1 INT in '07 before he was injured!! A lot of you Jake haters didn't join this Website until '08 or now (shows on your profile), which shows you're probably only 16 or 17 yrs old...dumb kids. My prediction is if Fox had never taken Peete out of the 1st game in '03 & put Delhomme in then we never would have been more than a 9-7 or 8-8 team in every season.

Seriously, Delhomme lovers, you need to get real. I can't speak for everyone, but I don't think that people hate Jake, they just acknowledge the fact that he is not what many people make him out to be. You have to keep things in perspective. Carolina is still the new kid on the block as far as NFL teams go, and as such we don't have the history and tradition that some other teams have. We really should have more longevity as a franchise before people start making grandiose exclamations. Of course Jake has been the most storied QB in our franchise history, because we really haven't been around that long. For all intents and purposes he has been our only QB of note, except for Steve Beuerlein who was towards the end of his career when he became a Panther. The fact is, like I said in another thread, if Beuerlein had been 10 years younger, then he would have probably been our guy (granted, it's pretty pointless to speculate). So, all in all, Delhomme has been the "best" QB in our franchise history basically by default, so stop acting as though he has been Brett Favre, which brings me to my second point: Delhomme has not even been near the best in terms of qaurterbacks in NFL history. He hasn't been special. When looking in terms of NFL history, Delhomme has been decidedly average. He is not even in the topic of Hall of fame territory, but because he has been the Panthers' "best" QB in a relatively short history, the ill-advised want to put him in our own ring of fame. Nostalgia doesn't an outstanding player make. People may say, "If it hadn't been for Jake, we would have never made it to the Super Bowl." I reply, "How in the hell do you know?" How do you know? Perhaps we could have made a run at a Rivers or a Manning and been to two or three Super Bowls by now. To me, that whole argument is a little shaky. It's somewhat circular---meaning that we can go around in circles about it all day long.

To me, The Jake-Panther situation has always been about opportunity costs.

And, sorry, Jakes presence on the team---particularly for the past year---has cost the team negatively, and had gotten to the point where it was costing others, like Matt Moore---to shine.

Don't get me wrong. Jake has been a good game manager, and maybe even flirted with greatness for one season. He seems like a good guy. And, yes, he should be should be given a classy exit, just like most of the guys who have ever put on a Panther uniform, but it was time for him to go.

I thank him for his services and the good memories.

Archived