• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Done with Complacent?

chknwing

After reading all the articles about the so called fire sale, I just think Carolinas' front office has come to realize what most of us already had, that they had come to complacent with the older vets. The team has become stale. Only way to breathe new life into a team that has become stagnant and at times boring to watch, is to shake it up a bit. Bring in some new faces to energize this team. The ultimate goal of the team is to not win games, its to fill seats and make money. Carolina past few years, has been like watching reruns of the facts of life. Time for a new show. And personally, I cant wait to see it.

People say we've been complacent in the past because we didn't bring in too many FAs, and that the FO was fine with the team they already had in place. Great. What did that bring them? Nothing. Now, we've trimmed away some vets and have allowed for the youngins to take the helm. That, however, is still not adding anyone new. If they once again decide to stick with the team they already have, the boo birds will once again cry complacency.

I always give them til the Draft to make themselves known. If we have what we have by then...it'll show in the field, IMHO. If they add 3-4 decent FAs in that time, then I'm all for the "youth movement". Until then...I worry for what THIS season has in store.

The overall core group of players are still on the team. The releases have heightened awareness of where we are lacking core players.

Take a look at who we released

Jake - See all threads from last season. Would have been a backup at best

Hoover - Probably had a year maybe 2 left. Fiametta is still developing (he may be still on the 40 trying to figure out his assignment for all I know) but we can fill the hole.

Conclusion: Need a solid #2 QB that can win a couple of games if called upon and a solid FB that can be part of a backfield rotation with Stew, DWill, Sutton Fiametta and Goodson (actually it sounds quite crowded already)

Kemo - 800 Lb wall on the line. Limited mobility and probably not much left after the achilles injury.

Damione Lewis - A bit questionable, especially with the loss of Pep. But otherwise not a stud DT

Conclusion: DT was and still is a position of need. We had a lot of backups but no real solid starters. With Kemo and Lewis gone we have a lot of backups (minus 2) but no solid starters.

N'all Diggs - Although he was aging he was still productive.

Landon Johnson - I don't know if he is still on the team but then again I didn't know that during the regular season either.

Conclusion: Even in capped years, solid players get older and less appealing

Point is, I too, am worried, but even though there has been a fire sale on veterans, I prefer to look at the glass as being half full and think that JR is thinking strategic and using the uncapped year as a spring board for several things that would be inevitable over the next two years anyway.

What we need to look toward is whether or not the team drafts guys that can grow into the "core" role and whether or not they seek to intelligently fill other holes with solid free agents.

Archived