• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who do you want to bring in to compete with Moore?

mick eye

Wait about another month and then ask me. That is when I expect them to sign a backup QB. Hell, it might even be after the draft especially with all of the QB likely to be taken.

IMO, Rex Grossman is the most ideal canidate. While not the greatest QB, he did lead, errr walk along side of, a team to the super bowl. I agree that Moore doesn't need a mentor but what the team needs is someone who can start and has started in the past. Aside from Grossman, I like Feely but he's already gone. Josh McCown is okay but at this point it's I think the team needs/wants to move on into the Moore era and having Delhomme or McCown on the team would be wierd, for lack of a better word.

To the question about the lack of quality depth at the QB across the league. I think it really has a lot do with the rule changes. Average QB used to be able to win championships in the NFL. Terry Bradshaw is a great example of this. In all honesty a horrible QB but great leader and had a great running game and defense backing him up. That was the way the NFL operated. I mean think about it, the most memorable pass play in Steelers history is a pass that was not thrown well, bounced off a player, then almost hit the ground before being caught.

Most QBs were simply just asked to not make the big mistakes rather than being asked to make the big plays. The expectations have grown to where every starting QB in the NFL has to be on the same level as a Montana or a Steve Young. Actually, thinking about it, it was probably the 1983 draft with Elway, Marino and Kelly that really rose the expectations of the starting QB. Before then, only 3 or 4 teams had a QB like that. Now, like someone else said, every team in the NFL has a franshise QB.

I personally think we should check into a Browns QB. Not Brady "Akili" Quinn but Brett Ratliff. A young corp with potential of Moore, Ratliff and Cantwell is what i would like to see.

you and me think alike rep+:thumbsup:

Best unrestricted veteran guys available:

Derek Anderson

Daunte Culpepper

J.P. Losman

Patrick Ramsey

Charlie Batch

Best restricted (tendered):

Troy Smith

Tavaris Jackson

Not really worth mentioning:

Brian St. Pierre

Kyle Boller

Rex Grossman

-------------------------------

Our FO has been rumored to have shown interest in Ramsey, Losman and Boller to some degree in the past.

At this point, of all the UFA guys, I'd say only Anderson, Losman and Batch could provide competition of any kind to Moore. Honestly, I think Batch would be the most consistent of those three and after watching Losman and Anderson's most recent efforts, I feel bad for even mentioning them as possibilities.

I think Troy Smith is the most viable option, available at a 5th rounder, probably would provide the only legitimate competition out of all the guys I've listed and is still young. The price is definitely worth it IMO.

Jackson would be nice to bring in to, but not for a 3rd.

So, basically, the pickings are slim. I'm looking for us to add a QB in the draft and then sign one of these guys later on, either before minicamp after the draft or before training camp. It doesn't seem the market is burning up for QBs so we'll probably wait until they have little to no leverage and see how it plays out.

Let's be frank. the prospects that are out there...suck :nonod:

There's not a name available now that I'd take over McCown, especially given he knows the system.

Unless someone releases an older "Testaverde" type this offseason, I think Josh is back again.

Archived