• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Canes vs Isles Round 1 Game 3 7:30

30 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Actually, Pesce is not usually our worst defenseman on grade on average and usually is middle of the pack to high on stat card solo. 

Something people need to remember is for defensive lines in the NHL over 800 minutes. We take 1, 5 and 9 x goal against per 60. 1, 10, 20 x goal against(skjei/pesce is the 10. 2, 3, 11, x goal.

Individually, Pesce is second on the team in blocks and per 60 it’s a country mile. Has a 5.8 x goal despite having little offense. TDA is a 1.8. Pesce also has our least amount of defensive zone giveaways with 14. To put that in perspective he has 18 give away in 1400 minutes, Orlov has 17 defensive zone giveaways in the same amount of time(36 total).

TDA has 14 giveaways with 8 defensive zone giveaways in 440 minutes. 

TDA and Pesce are not the same. Y’all give Pesce far too little credit to how well he plays in rods system. 

I actually thought he was talking about TDA lol.

30 minutes ago, PantherChris said:

I actually thought he was talking about TDA lol.

Dunno, a lot of people hate on Pesce as our worst top 6 defensemen so point still stands. Hint: we don’t have a bad top 6 defensemen. 

Edited by Harbingers

23 minutes ago, lightsout said:

TDA is either gonna be solid or absolutely cost us. There's no middle ground with him.

It concerns me because he over pinches a lot. Pairing him with Skjei is going to force Skjei to sit back more. But it’s our best option. Move 1 or 3 to their top 2 lines. Like skjei and TDA cover the bottom 3-4 on rotation and hope for the best.

Also what’s the over under on how long until TDA gets in a fight, all?

• Pie 1

TDA hasn't been the first version we got of him before Philly (which was a surprisingly decent cheap Dougie Hamilton replacement).  However.  He doesn't need to be that, as he's not first line paired with Slavin.  Rod will hide him with 3rd line minutes. IMO, he has been decent slotting in lately and he does make an offensive impact. Hopefully he has something to prove, especially considering his presence will likely be needed beyond this game. In that sense, him jumping in/providing offensive spark could help us with a pull away road goal. The Isles are overfocused on our forwards and have lost guys in critical moments because of it. Someone like TDA pinching can take advantage of that.

Hopefully he is motivated, ready to go, and that he and the rest of the team can keep their heads on a swivel, cause it's going to be chippy on the island early and often and if we can stay disciplined, this series is not coming back to Raleigh.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, backINblack28 said:

TDA hasn't been the first version we got of him before Philly (which was a surprisingly decent cheap Dougie Hamilton replacement).  However.  He doesn't need to be that, as he's not first line paired with Slavin. 

The issue we have is Skjei-Pesce consistently get the opposing teams top line. So we can’t really 3rd line minutes Skjei. We also can’t put TDA with Orlov(liability) and can’t put him with Slavin(rod seemingly does not want to break Slavin and Burns up).

I think you’re right, our best option is TDA plays like he has something to prove and doesn’t over pinch. I suspect when we can skjei and TDA will be the defensive pair for our 1 line. 

2 hours ago, Harbingers said:

Dunno, a lot of people hate on Pesce as our worst top 6 defensemen so point still stands. Hint: we don’t have a bad top 6 defensemen. 

Nope. Pesce's injury could really throw a wrench in the off-season if it's serious.

I've always felt Skjei would get a deal and Pesce would be the FA. If this is a serious injury, Pesce may not get much attention and the Canes either pay and keep him at a discount and they still may be unable to keep Skjei.

• Pie 1

15 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

Nope. Pesce's injury could really throw a wrench in the off-season if it's serious.

I've always felt Skjei would get a deal and Pesce would be the FA. If this is a serious injury, Pesce may not get much attention and the Canes either pay and keep him at a discount and they still may be unable to keep Skjei.

So from every timeline leak… aka the fact he’s not having surgery(yet). It sounds like a sprain not a tear. 

Edited by Harbingers