• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Strategy Games for PC

Johnny Rockets

Apparently I don't know anything about the computer I have....it was bought in 2007 apparently so it is only about 2 1/2 - 3 years old. It isn't even a Gateway, it is a Dell. :)

So what would I need to make sure I have on this PC to run Command and Conquer because that is what he told my wife today that he wanted? Wife has a brand new Toshiba laptop but she won't let him put it on there, and my laptop is a work issued one so that isn't an option.

Someone mentioned the Total War series earlier. If you can find the earlier versions of that series, I'd recommend that. It's a blend of RTS and TB games, easy enough to get into, doesn't require a massive ammount of time devotion in a single sitting. Would allow him to determine which aspects he likes and which aspects he doesn't and would make choosing a future game a little easier. Like I said, early entries in the series though (Shogun or Medieval).

If turn based is definately his thing, then anything with Sid Meier's name on it is gold, with the Civilization series being the crown jewel. Personal preference though, I like a sci fi setting and always enjoyed Alpha Centauri more.

So he just brought home the Age of Empires III expansion pack that has Warchiefs and Asian Dynasties....anyone ever play that? The link Dingo posted says I need a video card though.

If he takes it back and gets the World of Warcraft Battlechest pack does he need to get a monthly subscription to play online?

the best way to play civ 4 is by racing to Divine Right while building the pyramids

then if you do it right in like 500bc you can have a fascist Islamic state that can run train on the rest of the map

I forgot all about this:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/40400

You have to buy it through Steam and install the Steam Client to play, which is Valve's pc version of Xbox Marketplace. Its a pretty nice little system they've got going on.

On sale right now as well.

AI War is an entirely unique large-scale RTS with aspects of TBS, tower defense, and grand strategy. It features single or cooperative play with as many as 8 humans against a pair of powerful, intelligent AIs. These AIs are driven by an AI Progress stat that players contribute to through aggressive actions such as taking control of planets and destroying key units, forcing tough decisions regarding which targets are worth capturing or destroying. Human fleets are usually several thousand ships in size or larger, with games often featuring 30,000 units at any given time across galaxies of anywhere from 10 to 120 planets. Some games have reached as many as 90,000 units!

Despite this, players retain powerful control over their fleets in a macro-sense, ignoring painful micromanagement present in other games in favor of actual tactics like flanking. Meanwhile, ships themselves attempt to target enemies as intelligently as possible so the player can focus on the tasks that really matter. Scouting also plays a major role in the game, supplying an intel 'snapshot' about important capturable units, enemy fleet sizes, and planet ownership. Designed by RTS veterans and backed by strong, responsive support on the official forums and elsewhere, AI War is an exciting and refreshing experience.

* Space-based RTS, single player or up to 8 player co-op

* Powerful emergent AI that retreats, probes defenses, and surprises even veterans with intelligent tactics

* 30,000+ ships at a time on 10-120 simultaneous planetary battlefields

* Different Every Time: 16 billion procedural maps, each with specific units

* A focus on deep strategy with nearly no micromanagement

System Requirements

o OS: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7

o Processor: 1.6Ghz CPU (2.4 Ghz recommended, Dual Core strongly recommended for Host)

o Memory: 512 MB RAM (1 GB recommended)

o Graphics: Graphics card must support 1024x1024 textures (most 32MB and up graphics cards do), 1024x768 or greater desktop screen resolution (32 bit color recommended)

o DirectX®: 9.0c

Archived