• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So let's talk law school.

SmootsDaddy89

UNC Law even though Chapel Hill is the douchiest place on Earth.

Agreed. Law school ranking is one of the most important factors in getting a job after law school, which is certainly not an automatic anymore. You can go to a tier 1 school or go to a school that is in danger of dropping into tier 3.

This is a no brainer. Congrats on getting into Chapel Hell. I hope you aren't a douche like the rest of their grads.

-Wake Law grad

I've literally heard like 50 different opinions on what's the most important thing you want to look for in a law school though.

Like Eddie Knox told me it literally doesn't matter at all where you graduate from, if you're a good student, you'll get noticed once you graduate.

I've had other attorneys tell me the overall law school itself it the most important thing to look at, while others say if you go to a school that isn't well-regarded in a certain area of law, and you focus in that area, it doesn't matter how good the law school in general is, you'll be hurt by a poor program within that law school.

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Like Eddie Knox told me it literally doesn't matter at all where you graduate from, if you're a good student, you'll get noticed once you graduate.

I have got a pile of resumes in my office, some from 2008 grads looking for their first job. Most of those resumes aren't from Duke, WF, or UNC grads. They are Campbell, Elon, Charlotte School of Law, and NC Central grads.

Telling someone that it doesn't matter where you graduate is not telling the truth. This isn't rocket science. Go to the websites of some of the firms you would be interested in working for and see where the partners got their degrees. That will tell you everything you need to know.

It's important, but it's overrated as well.

Knox/Brotherton has attorneys from Campbell and NC Central, a 3rd and 4th tier school.

Going to a crappy school does limit your mobility though, at least starting out. Campbell and Central wont get you jobs in California or New York.

I really do like North Carolina, I just want a different experience I guess. Plus McGeorge is a great starting school, if I really like California, for a school like USC. I could pal around with stereotypical douchebag USC quarterback #14 maybe.

Want a different experience? Go to DC or Philly or NY.

Most important thing is not having to explain where you went to school to someone.

Telling someone that it doesn't matter where you graduate is not telling the truth. This isn't rocket science. Go to the websites of some of the firms you would be interested in working for and see where the partners got their degrees. That will tell you everything you need to know.

QFT

It's important, but it's overrated as well.

Knox/Brotherton has attorneys from Campbell and NC Central, a 3rd and 4th tier school.

Going to a crappy school does limit your mobility though, at least starting out. Campbell and Central wont get you jobs in California or New York.

With Stanford, USC, Berkeley and UCLA in California and Harvard, Columbia, NYU and Yale not far from NYC, good luck trying to get a job there if you didn't go to one of those schools. Even a UNC degree doesn't mean much in a California-type market with all the great programs that already exist out there.

From what I've learned in the process of deciding where I want to go to law school, If you're not at a T20 law school, the job prospects become very regionally snobby based on where your degree comes from. I.e., a UNC law degree is great if you want to be somewhere between GA and VA.

Now, of course you can do yourself a lot of favors by being in the top 10% of your class, but still.

Archived