• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Absinthe - Is it legal in the US?

Hotsauce

A co-worker was telling me about a bottle of Absinthe that he just paid $60 for. Says that it comtains "wormwood", the hallucinagintic chemical that was banned from the US for the past 50 years. I have googled it, and come up with mixed answers as to if this is true, or a marketing scheme from beverage distributors.

If true, I want to try it! But I aint payin $60 a bottle until I get answers! Now speak on this my fellow huddlers!

A co-worker was telling me about a bottle of Absinthe that he just paid $60 for. Says that it comtains "wormwood", the hallucinagintic chemical that was banned from the US for the past 50 years. I have googled it, and come up with mixed answers as to if this is true, or a marketing scheme from beverage distributors.

If true, I want to try it! But I aint payin $60 a bottle until I get answers! Now speak on this my fellow huddlers!

yes, it is legal.

If you had frequented a few of our Huddle Tailgates last season, you could have partaken of some.

That poo is the DEVIL.

I don't think absinthe with wormwood is legal in the U.S, it won't contain thujone, the chemical extract from the wormwood because it's banned by the FDA. The reason it became illegal in the first place wasn't the wormwood, but the amount of cheap knockoff absinthe (moonshine specifically sold as 'absinthe') prevalent in the U.S. that was killing people. Anyways, make sure you mix it with water (about 1 shot to 8 ounces) otherwise it'll taste straight like poo. It won't make you hallucinate, you won't be seeing green fairies.

Why is absinthe now being sold in the United States?

As of October 2007, the TTB a bureau under the Department of the Treasury has updated policy regarding the use of the term "absinthe" on labels of distilled spirits products and in related advertising material. They have approved the use of the term "absinthe" on the label of a distilled spirits product and in related advertisements only if the product is "thujone-free" pursuant to the Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) regulations.

Based on the updated policy, absinthe is considered "thujone-free" if it contains 10 ppm or less thujone.

I believe it is legal to possess just not to sell if it is not "thujone-free" which means you can personally import the real thing but can't buy it here.

Also:

www dot absinthebuyersguide dot com

It can be seized by Customs however, so put it in a sealed bag and you'll probably be good to go.

Either go buy yourself a bottle of Everclear at the ABC store or find someone who makes some damn good 'shine. It is cheaper, tastes better, and will give you the same outcome. You will be drunk off your ass.

If you REALLY want to get fuged up and want to illegally import booze. Go to Japan and get yourself a bottle of Habusake. That poo will fug you up in a serious manner.

hmmm...I've had moonshine at a tailgate, but not absinthe!

I remember that Peach Moonshine that the Biker Boys brought to the tailgate. Now that was some good poo.

That.....and BMorgan's Mead.

Beer....Absinthe....Moonshine....Mead....Jello Shots....Bubblegum Vodka....Oh yea, and a little bit of food

Damn I can't wait for the first tailgate.

Archived