• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thinking About Joining A Martial Arts Academy

The Saltman

is this to the anti-drug that gets you "above the influence"?

i took karate for two weeks when i was very young. my dad yanked me out because i kept using the little bit i had learned on the other kids at daycare.

no not at all...ive been interested in doing this for a while...and I did the same thing u did back in the day...but back then I couldnt afford paying the class to get past the advanced white belt stage :D

It all depends what you want to get out of it. Is this just kind of a hobby, after work blow off some steam, thing; a desire to learn to protect yourself and your family in realistic street-fighting scenarios; or do you want a martial art you can compete in?

I would suggest looking for a Mixed Martial Arts gym.

I should start by restating that I am biased because I have been taking it for 1.5 years; but I highly recommend Krav Maga. It's not as sexy as some of the other martial arts (and be prepared to explain over and over what "Krav Maga" is, because no one has heard of it). You won't find a lot of videos on YouTube featuring it, and it doesn't feature high flying tonado kicks. But if you want an idea, watch the Bourne movies and Taken. Krav is probably the prefered hand-to-hand combat style for special forces right now, and is very practical in many relistic situations. The down-side is there is no competition for Krav Maga, because there is no below the belt rule in Krav, and Krav strikes are designed to shatter, paralyze and disable.

If you want something you can compete in, try Muay Thai (high impact, very exhausting, lots of sparring, and afterward, you will have no sensation in your shins or quads) and Jui Jitsu (relatively low impact, ground-fighting, competition oriented but totally useless on the street). All three will be found at your local MMA gym.

Archived