• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I need some Prenatal Guidance...

Samuel L. Jackson

If you're terrified of the prego, there's nothing to help.

If your terrified about the fact that you will have a youngin' soon. Relax. I have a 5 year old son and a 4 month old son. I can't imagine life without either of them now. Everyday is better and better.

I'm just paranoid that my son won't be as awesome as me...

But on the real... I worry about being a good dad... not dropping him or something stupid like that... him having some of the health problems I have (like asthma and wicked allergies)... etc. etc. etc.... Only 77 days (I think) and he'll be here... I just hope I am ready...

But on the real... I worry about being a good dad... not dropping him or something stupid like that... him having some of the health problems I have (like asthma and wicked allergies)... etc. etc. etc.... Only 77 days (I think) and he'll be here... I just hope I am ready...

don't worry bro, I went through the same thing as u... for the first couple of months due to the fact that my wife was breastfeeding she was with her 24/7.

My only suggestion to you would be to try to involve yourself with the baby as much as possible so you can create a bond early. Everything will be ok bro...GL :thumbsup:

All normal fears. I always tell expecting dads this. There have been BILLIONS before you who made it work. You can too.

You will be amazed at the parental instincts that kick in. Especially with your wife. If you can't bond with your wife and appreciate her more after this, then you might never.

Just realize you might be on the backburner as salt said for the first few months. Get use to it. But it's all for the right reasons.

just due to the fact that in the usa women dont get a year off maternity leave like canada, your wife will have to go to work sooner than she would like. If you dont get involved with the baby sooner than normal you might have some problems if you have to watch the baby while its only 3-4 months. Everything will come naturally in time so dont stress!!

All normal fears. I always tell expecting dads this. There have been BILLIONS before you who made it work. You can too.

I kept telling myself that if the yahoos on Maury can be dads surely I can do it.

Seriously though, you'll be fine. One thing I didn't realize is that if your wife ends up having a c-section you'll be the first one to hold the little guy for the first 5-10 minutes of his life. Also, since she'll be bedridden for 24 hours or so you'll be the first responder to his needs. I found that I bonded a ton with my son this way.

Even if it's a vaginal birth you can be as involved as you want to be. Instinct will kick in and the best part is it gets easier every day. It really does.

Mine turned 5 months this weekend and january seems like forever ago. You'll be a great dad

Just found out 2 months ago that my 5 year old son has allergies. Failed every test relating to out door things. Not sure where they came from. We had to get him shots twice a week for two months. Now it's down to one a week. Sucks, but there are a lot of people and kids with worse problems.

It's easy to be a good dad. You'll fine that 99% of being a good dad is just being there. I've got buddies that work all week then golf and do sh*t all weekend. When I'm not traveling, my home time is for the boys. I'll golf now and again, but my spare time is devoted to the fam.

Just do all the things my Father didn't. Play catch with him, throw the football around, shoot hoops. Get him interested in Little League. In fact, teach him the fundamentals of all the sports!

Tell him in his crib how awesome girls are! If he wants to play with GI Joes or Iron Man figures, don't tell him, "No Son of mine is going to play with dolls!" In fact, toys are neater now than when we were kids, so it's okay if you want to play along too! You get to teach him how to ride a bike, play cards!

When he has a problem, don't always tell him to, "Go ask his Mother I'm too busy!" Enough times of this and he will bypass you and go straight to his Mother. Then you will be wondering why he never comes to you with a problem!

Tell him that is is never under any circumstance OK to hit a girl! Do make it a habit not to sware in front of him. Don't make it a habit to be drunk in front of him! :hand: (My Father didn't even do these things.)

Watch the Adam Sandler movie "Big Daddy" about 30 times between now and then. Watch the ending of the Bill Bixbee TV show, "Courtship of Eddie's Father". They always end up with Father and son talking!

And lastly, don't be pissed off if he wants to make his own way in life.

In addition to sports, check out the Boy Scouts.

And if the program isn't strong where you are, you head it up. It will give you and he time away from the mother/wife, and create an enormous bond between you.

My father and I, as well as my brother are Eagle Scouts, and my relationship between my father is better than most. It may sound dorky, especially when sports "start getting in the way", but I use what I learned in scouts much morso than knowing how to play man coverage on the football field.

Guest CatofWar

I was scared to death when my first one got here. He was so little I knew that I was going to fug up somehow. We did ok with the trial run and now have another boy. They are two and four. They crack me up every single day. Yesterday they busted out the drake line from that lil wayne song "im like a sprained ankle dad I aint nothing to play with". They must have gotten that from their mother. They make life worth living.

It's OK, the odds are astronomical that he'd also draw the genetic short straw, too.

Archived