• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Official Huddle Beer Thread

CharlotteBeer.com

thanx buddy

i did have the sams adams summer ale...thought it was pretty good.

No problem. :cheers2:

I like their Summer Ale, too. I've yet to really go out and by any of these summer seasonals this year. I think I need to pick up some of the Sam Adams Summer Ale and the aforementioned Sierra Nevada Summerfest.

Everytime I see one of these threads, I remember a beer I had at this bar in Raleigh called Red Wolf on Hillsborough St. back in 1998. It was a Nut Brown micro-brew. Fricking delish, one of the best brews I have ever had. Then I ruined the flavor by going to Canteen and drinking $.50 piss water.

Which is quite the opposite of the Winter Celebration Beer. Ouch

I love the Sierra Nevada Celebration. I buy a case every winter. :)

If you're not accustomed to IPAs, however, I can bet it would be a bit off-putting.

Everytime I see one of these threads, I remember a beer I had at this bar in Raleigh called Red Wolf on Hillsborough St. back in 1998. It was a Nut Brown micro-brew. Fricking delish, one of the best brews I have ever had. Then I ruined the flavor by going to Canteen and drinking $.50 piss water.

Yeah, brown ales are another great style for those just getting into craft beer. You can't go wrong with Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale.

Huddle beer thread = bad for my productivity.

Right now, I'm currently on a quest to drink every beer on Beeradvocate's Top 100. For those that don't know beeradvocate is a website about beer (no poo!). It is one of two leading beer review websites, the other being ratebeer. For my money's worth (as well as other beer heads i know) beeradvocate blows ratebeer out of the water in terms of its reviews and user base.

Anyways, any user can go there and rate a beer using a 1-5 scale and can include a description. They also have a staff that writes separate reviews. So far, I've found that if a beer has 100 or more reviews I almost always agree with the rating. Since discovering beeradvocate the quality of beer I drink has increased 10-fold.

New beer I've never heard of? Pull out my droid and look that poo up. I hate to sound like a commercial for some website, but it really is top notch and you'll never waste money on pooty beer again.

So yeah, at this point I've had about 50% of the top 100. http://beeradvocate.com/top_beers

Huddle beer thread = bad for my productivity.

Right now, I'm currently on a quest to drink every beer on Beeradvocate's Top 100.

Nice! I've only had probably around 15% of that list, but then I haven't tried to seek out any of those specifically.

Just last week I had two beers from the list -- Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald and Ballast Point Sculpin -- at Vinter Wine Market (which is an awesome place, if you haven't been).

My favorites right now are all RJ Rocker's beers. They're a small brewery here in Spartanburg (which you guys ought to try out when you come down for training camp).

Their good summer beer is Son of a Peach, a wheat beer made with peaches:

rockers+son+of+peach.bmp

Another one of my favorites is Fish Paralyzer, a high gravity coming in at 7.5%:

rjrockers_paralyzer.jpg

And my personal favorite is the Spartanburg Stout:

rj-225x300.jpg

I love IPA's and that poo is poop

We'll have to agree to disagree. I love that stuff and look forward to it every year. :P

My favorites right now are all RJ Rocker's beers. They're a small brewery here in Spartanburg (which you guys ought to try out when you come down for training camp).

I'll be sure to do that. I haven't had any of their beers yet, but I've heard good things.

Nice! I've only had probably around 15% of that list, but then I haven't tried to seek out any of those specifically.

Just last week I had two beers from the list -- Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald and Ballast Point Sculpin -- at Vinter Wine Market (which is an awesome place, if you haven't been).

Great Lakes just recently increased their distribution. I hadn't seen it anywhere since I left Chicago 3 years ago until about 3-4 months ago, now I can find it at every specialty beer store in DC. Edmund Fitzgerald, Elliot Ness, and Dortmunder Gold are my favorites. Dortmunder is great if you want to drink a lot, not too heavy, very smooth.

Great Lakes just recently increased their distribution. I hadn't seen it anywhere since I left Chicago 3 years ago until about 3-4 months ago, now I can find it at every specialty beer store in DC. Edmund Fitzgerald, Elliot Ness, and Dortmunder Gold are my favorites. Dortmunder is great if you want to drink a lot, not too heavy, very smooth.

Yeah, they just entered the Charlotte market a couple months ago. The other night I got to enjoy their Lake Erie Monster double IPA. That was a very, very good beer.

Archived